Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Greenbean
BS Goodwrench

Drives: Tacoma and LC
I need good advise guys/gals...

Ok, I have been a honda guy for years, on my 5th Hatchback,

Now I am wanting to jump ship and get a Yaris, I hope

Through my own research I have found that for the likes of cruise control on an 09-10 model it had the indicator in the guage cluster. 07-08 did not, OK makes me want the 09-10.

This is exactly the thing I am needing to know,

What would you look for,

A new 2012

or a pre-owner 2009-2010 model. I only want a hatchback 5-spd.

Did all models of 09-10 models have a tach in the guages? keyless entry? Stuff like that.

My biggest turn off right now is the single wiper in the front, second turn off is the removal of the hatch release, I understand the rear end is cleaner and smoother now but, darn...

Anything else you can add to help me lean one direction or the other would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I used to drive a 87 Honda Accord (which I liked) but it was slowly dying and had some mechanical issues. I had the opportunity to get a 2007 Yaris and I have never looked back. So given the opportunity to get a Yaris I would do so .. and best of all the mileage is awesome. I am probably getting double the mileage that I got on my Honda.

I just love the Yaris (even if it is not a current model like you are looking for). I was able to get my Yaris from a friend .. and I know that it has been meticulously cared for. So even though mine is only a 2007, I still love it and would recommend the Yaris to any prospective owner.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
An indicator is not that big of a deal. You can add a little light that will go on when the cruise control is on.

Many if not most 5 speeds don't come with a tach. No idea why. Very few Yaris' come with keyless entry, that is a luxury toyota didn't think anyone who was looking at a Yaris would want to spend the money on.

If you are looking for creature comforts, from what I know the 2012 has many more than the 2nd gen did.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Greenbean
BS Goodwrench

Thanks for the info so far guys,

It's actually not so much creature comnforts as I hate the idea of more electrincs that eventually WILL fail,

I love manual windows, keyless entry would be nice though, lol...

Another thing is I love the fact that on the 2012 and up will have the guage cluster in front of the driver,

Guess a better question would be would you trade a 07-2010 Hatchback just to have a 2012?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I am one of the people who prefers the center cluster to the in front of you one, so if I were in the market for another Yaris, I would stick with the 2nd gen.

Besides the cluster, the other things that would keep me in the 2nd gen world are: Rear seats that fold completely flat, two front wipers, and the extra dash storage compartments.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Greenbean
BS Goodwrench

So I have seen a few pics of 09-10 Hatchbacks with a tach, these must have been canadian models right?

I need to research if there is a guage cluster swap as i am sure there is, that would have MPH versus KPH,

I am used to the Civic SI swappage of the clusters into every Civic I have owned, Gots to have me a tach!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
So I have seen a few pics of 09-10 Hatchbacks with a tach, these must have been canadian models right?

I need to research if there is a guage cluster swap as i am sure there is, that would have MPH versus KPH,

I am used to the Civic SI swappage of the clusters into every Civic I have owned, Gots to have me a tach!!!
Some 2nd gen US ones have tachs, particularly S model ones. It is possible to swap in a cluster with a tach, although MPH ones are hard to find, because there are far less of them.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Greenbean
BS Goodwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Some 2nd gen US ones have tachs, particularly S model ones. It is possible to swap in a cluster with a tach, although MPH ones are hard to find, because there are far less of them.
Cool, thanks.

So a 5-spd "S" model hatch is what I am looking for?

Autotrader here I come, lol...
Old 06-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
richard_rsp

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 3Dr
I was in a very similar situation: Was choosing between a used 09-10 or a new 2012. I chose the 2012 for a few reasons:

#1) Equal Payments - Even though the used 09-10 yaris' were cheaper in price, they wanted to finance them at a higher interest rate compared to the promotional rate offered by Toyota on a new Yaris. This meant basically the same payment. (In my case, I am also a recent graduate (within 2 years), so I got an additional $1000 off the new Yaris for 'Grad Cash').

#2) Warranty - even though I am into some minor modding, it was worth it to me know that things like A/C, door locks, etc were not going to eat me up in unexpected costs 2 months down the road. I'm covered for 36k miles, which is nice.

#3) Included service - With my new Yaris, it came with 20k miles for included maintenance, meaning free oil changes and tire rotations. If you estimate that it would have cost $50 for each of those, thats an extra $200 saved.

#4) It was new - New car smell! :) Its nice to know that I am the one who broke the car in, I have driven it since day one (minus the few test drivers prior to my purchasing).

#5) Finally, my choice was based on how it was equipped. Stock stereo is fine, prefer the manual windows, power locks are standard, USB input, and I liked the interior on the 2012.

Am I happy with my choice? Absolutely. My wife and I almost bought a 2009 and we are glad we decided to go new (no offense to 07-11 owners). I have owned 28 cars in the past 15 years (including a 2007 Fit, 2008 Civic EX, as well as a 1994 and 2009 Civic Si) and originally bought this Yaris primarily for its cheap payment. However, I have come to absolutely LOVE this car, which has been quite a surprise.

Are there any things I would change? Yes, but not many. I added cruise control (VERY easy). I wish it had keyless entry (currently figuring out an OEM solution). I KINDA wish I had bluetooth, but I figure I will add this later down the road.. Other than that, I am not adding anything to my car that I wouldnt normally add (springs, sway bars, wheels). on the Yaris, its just cheaper! :)
richard_rsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:

Then you might prefer a 2012 to get around the swapping issue.

My base model L 2 door 5 speed came with a factory tach, hand crank rollup windows and keyed entry although the locks are electrical. It also came standard with air conditioning, 4 speaker radio/CD/USB, and an adjustable steering column.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Greenbean
BS Goodwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Then you might prefer a 2012 to get around the swapping issue.

My base model L 2 door 5 speed came with a factory tach, hand crank rollup windows and keyed entry although the locks are electrical. It also came standard with air conditioning, 4 speaker radio/CD/USB, and an adjustable steering column.
2012 is looking good, time for me to call Toyota and see if they offer an optional keyless entry,
Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
My 2010 5 speed hatch has a tach and crank-type windows (it's not an S model). I don't like electric windows, too expensive to repair when they fail. Besides, the Yaris is so narrow I can reach over to roll the other side down if I have to, but may have to unfasten the seatbelt. I happen to love the center mounted gauges as I can see better out the windshield. Keyless entry...meh. I can live without that. The main thing I miss is a hatch release lever like my Honda CRX's all had tucked in beside the driver's seat.

Kind of sad: My last free ToyotaCare oil change takes place tomorrow. My ToyotaCare expires on 6/12. Now I'll have to pay for them.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
My 2010 5 speed hatch has a tach and crank-type windows. I don't like electric windows, too expensive to repair when they fail. Besides, the Yaris is so narrow I can reach over to roll the other side down if I have to, but may have to unfasten the seatbelt. I happen to love the center mounted gauges as I can see better out the windshield. Keyless entry...meh. I can live without that. The main thing I miss is a hatch release lever like my Honda CRX's all had tucked in beside the driver's seat.

Kind of sad: My last free ToyotaCare oil change takes place tomorrow. My ToyotaCare expires on 6/12. Now I'll have to pay for them.
Here's your solution for the hatch popping. Since you don't have remote entry, you can simply install an inside switch, where ever you want:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39677
Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Thanks, CT. Looks like I'll have to find someone to work on my car---I don't do things like this. I know enough to do an oil change myself (if I really HAD to!) but that's about it.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Thanks for the info so far guys,

It's actually not so much creature comnforts as I hate the idea of more electrincs that eventually WILL fail,

I love manual windows, keyless entry would be nice though, lol...

Another thing is I love the fact that on the 2012 and up will have the guage cluster in front of the driver,

Guess a better question would be would you trade a 07-2010 Hatchback just to have a 2012?
Never. When I get another car it will be totally different, and I am going to keep my 2007 as a daily driver forever. I don't get trading it for the same exact car.

Quote:

Actually almost every auto came with a tach. No idea why.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
Greenbean
BS Goodwrench

Good info guys/gals!

I appreciate the information, I have to decide in the upcoming months which way I want to go.

I usually shy away from the new model year cars but the 2012 is looking nice!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I am one of the people who prefers the center cluster to the in front of you one, so if I were in the market for another Yaris, I would stick with the 2nd gen.

Besides the cluster, the other things that would keep me in the 2nd gen world are: Rear seats that fold completely flat, two front wipers, and the extra dash storage compartments.
This ^^^^^. I'd require an Edmscan like scenario though to be confident re purchasing a used Yaris. I also love manual windows for the same reason Greenbean does.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
jerome
Toyota

Drives: '11 5dr/5spd yaris
i have a (white) '11 5dr/5spd w/tach. keyless entry, power windows/locks, cruise.

do the 5dr '12s come in 5spd?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote