Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
negev

Drives: Toyota Yaris VVti SR 1.3L 3D
Riding the clutch in a yaris

Hello everyone,

I am curious, I see a lot of people online talking about riding the clutch and that this wears the clutch out and is really expensive if you burn it out, but on this forum people seem to be saying that they've done hundreds of thousands of miles in their Yarises and never needed a new one.

I tend to hold the car on the clutch a lot when driving in London as there's a lot of stop-start and using the handbrake is annoying, is this bad for the clutch or does it not really matter in a car like this?

Ta much
negev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Riding the clutch on any car is bad. I wouldn't suggest doing it.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by negev View Post
Hello everyone,

I am curious, I see a lot of people online talking about riding the clutch and that this wears the clutch out and is really expensive if you burn it out, but on this forum people seem to be saying that they've done hundreds of thousands of miles in their Yarises and never needed a new one.

I tend to hold the car on the clutch a lot when driving in London as there's a lot of stop-start and using the handbrake is annoying, is this bad for the clutch or does it not really matter in a car like this?

Ta much
Driving a manual transmission car (that you own) in London...... I feel for you. I am a nearly die hard manual transmission driver. My Yaris is manual and my clutch is original. I've driven in London in a rental car.....an automatic. If I repeated that exercise, I'd want it to again be in an automatic. I can't speak definitively for other high mileage manual transmission Yaris owners, only for myself, but I don't ride my clutch. If I had to guess, I would doubt any others do either.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
peckerhead

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Ta much
Riding the clutch = the kiss of death.
peckerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
to put it into perspective, to replace a clutch the book says 8 hours of labor. That is $600 just in labor costs, the replacement parts are probably around $500 as well. So $1100 total. No driving style can be worth that much money.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Sparcoboy

Drives: 2008 XP9 by Sparco
A clutch doesn't wear even a little bit by keeping the pedal depressed, only the throwoutbearing will get some extra wear on it, but on a Toyota they're built strong enough to last the lifetime of the car.
Sparcoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
to put it into perspective, to replace a clutch the book says 8 hours of labor. That is $600 just in labor costs, the replacement parts are probably around $500 as well. So $1100 total. No driving style can be worth that much money.
Boy .. I would love your rates. Around here .. labor rates are well over 100$ an hour.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #8
negev

Drives: Toyota Yaris VVti SR 1.3L 3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparcoboy View Post
A clutch doesn't wear even a little bit by keeping the pedal depressed, only the throwoutbearing will get some extra wear on it, but on a Toyota they're built strong enough to last the lifetime of the car.
What about keep it up just enough to keep the car stationary on a hill though?
negev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
peckerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparcoboy View Post
Nonsense.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
peckerhead

Quote:
Go ahead and do that. Show us the pictures of your smoked clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel in 10,000 miles.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Just use the handbrake or avoid driving in hilly areas (I avoided hilly areas until I got confident in using the handbrake on hills).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I've owned many cars with MT's and I've never worn out a clutch. I never ride the clutch, and I also don't hold it in at stoplights. I put it in neutral.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Jabro

Drives: 2008 2dr Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckerhead View Post
Nonsense.
Peckerhead, mechanically speaking I have to disagree with you. So long as the clutch is fully disengaged, no friction will be occurring whatsoever, equating to zero wear. Having the clutch fully depressed on a neutral incline shouldn't do any more damage than having the car in neutral. Now on an incline, that changes if your holding it at the "sweet spot", because the clutch is no longer disengaged and is encountering friction.
Jabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I admit that I never use the handbrake while driving. When stopped on an incline, I'm in neutral with the brakes depressed, and then balance the clutch and gas to proceed from a stop to prevent rollback. In other instances, I ride it briefly while in reverse. I think these practices are normal.

My original clutch works perfect with 132,000 miles on it.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I admit that I never use the handbrake while driving. When stopped on an incline, I'm in neutral with the brakes depressed, and then balance the clutch and gas to proceed from a stop to prevent rollback. In other instances, I ride it briefly while in reverse. I think these practices are normal.

My original clutch works perfect with 132,000 miles on it.
That's what I do when stopped on a hill. Thankfully, we don't have many hills where I live as it always seems someone is stopped behind me as close as they can get! So there's no margin for rollback errors without hitting someone!

When I learned to shift gears, I never was taught to use the handbrake. That's only used when parked.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Using the clutch to hold the car up on hills will wear the clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel.

Havigeathe car in gear and holding the clutch pedal down will lightly wear the throwout bearing.

I usually have it in neutral at a light unless I know ill be pulling away soon-ish
Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
Two different situations. One, holding the clutch all the way in does not hurt the clutch it's self. It does add wear to the throw out bearing, but should last longer then the clutch it's self.
Second, riding the clutch to hold the car on a hill is a very bad practice, the friction will greatly reduce the life of the clutch.
Far better to use the hand break, although I just get of the brake and onto the gas quick enough that I don't need too, on most hills.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #18
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Smoke. Lots and lots of clutch turned into lots of smoke. Use your handbrake for hill starts.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote