Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Why You Dont Want a "Smart" Key!

http://techpageone.dell.com/downtime...09197280467600
Old 03-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Nice article. Thanks, bronsin.

Screw all that techno crap. One big reason I'm happy with my Yaris is I because it's so simple. If I lose my key or leave it in the car, I have an extra one at home. I wonder how much a replacement "smart key" would cost? For those people who want loads of vulnerable technology crammed into their car, fine. I say go for it. But me, I'm happy with my manual locks/windows and traditional key-in-the-ignition Yaris.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
bronsin

Amen!

Incidentally my wife persists in hanging about a hundred keys on her keyring along with the key for her Camry. She just broke the plastic fob and needs a new key now.

I guess youve heard about the Cobalt Chevy problem?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
A stupid "Smart" key is for people who have high-theft-rate vehicles and who live in areas of high theft.

I would question their choice of residence or, if that's un-changeable, their question of vehicle.

The Yaris is not a popular car in this country (it's only popular with those of us who OWN one ) and doesn't need that technology. What is a thief stealing? The car is relatively new and doesn't have earlier models to interchange stripped parts with. It's not a status car. It's not even good as a getaway car or joyride vehicle.

It's Escalades and Navigators and DeVilles that need the Smart Keys. Now, I'm not sure why anyone needs Escalades and Navigators and DeVilles...that's another issue.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
The Yaris is not a popular car in this country (it's only popular with those of us who OWN one )
And not even every owner of one at that
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
And not even every owner of one at that

well very few!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Double Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post

Screw all that techno crap. One big reason I'm happy with my Yaris is I because it's so simple. If I lose my key or leave it in the car, I have an extra one at home. I wonder how much a replacement "smart key" would cost? For those people who want loads of vulnerable technology crammed into their car, fine. I say go for it. But me, I'm happy with my manual locks/windows and traditional key-in-the-ignition Yaris.
Statistics - The more stuff you have on a car, the more there is to break. Got an extra key fob for our 2003 Trailblazer after we purchased it, dealer only of course, it was about 100 bucks or so if I remember correctly. thankfully, it worked...!
I swear I am still so enthralled with this car & it all has to do with its size & simplicity. Crap, I have it shammy'd in 5 minutes, spray waxed the next day in 10 minutes or less. I actually played with the tilt wheel today, almost forgot it had one
Love the crank windows, I pull in the garage and turn off the car, then don't have to worry about having it running to roll the window up!
A LOT of folks keep their vehicles only a few years, then trade up again. Try to keep some of these makes & models for 5 or 6 years, or 50,000-60,000 miles, things start to go wrong, and they usually do right after the darn thing goes out of warranty. I wonder how much a regular Yaris key is at the dealer, gonna have to find out. I'm sure it isn't 100 bucks
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:

I agree with all of this, plus the comments section re that article is even funnier than the article. Unfortunately, no current USDM Yaris is available without power locks.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #9
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
I wonder how much a replacement "smart key" would cost?
I just recently picked up a chipped key for my parent's Acadia which cost me less than 20 bucks. Going through the dealer would have been hundreds. I suppose that we risk it not working, etc, but if you do research you will see once again where the OEMs are literally financially raping you for their bottom dollar. Sure, there are plenty of arguments for certain components to be OEM grade, but you need to shop smart with aftermarket parts/companies. My point is that I would not buy an aftermarket axle/CV/hub assembly now after talking with the folks at The Driveshaft Shop. They explained to be in detail how those non-OEM offerings out there especially the ones made in the bulk of the Chinese plants having inferior heating/cooling/tooling techniques. They point blank asked, "would you like your CV to break while at highway speeds or faster?"

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Amen!

Incidentally my wife persists in hanging about a hundred keys on her keyring along with the key for her Camry. She just broke the plastic fob and needs a new key now.

I guess youve heard about the Cobalt Chevy problem?
No. Please tell us . Given the info in the paragraph above, I'll take a wild guess and say it has something to do with heavy keys causing the 'lock cylinder' to need replacing.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
The more stuff you have on a car, the more there is to break.
I agree. The one thing I can think of off the top of my head that isn't necessary to make a car run, but would be uncomfortable to be without in this climate, is air conditioning.

Quote:
Love the crank windows
Old 03-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
doesn't have earlier models to interchange stripped parts with
What about the ECHO ?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #13
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I agree with all of this, plus the comments section re that article is even funnier than the article. Unfortunately, no current USDM Yaris is available without power locks.
The comments are ALWAYS the best part -
I'll trust the power door locks to work for life in this Toyota before I'd ever trust them to work for that long in some 'other' brands....
Old 03-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
No. Please tell us . Given the info in the paragraph above, I'll take a wild guess and say it has something to do with heavy keys causing the 'lock cylinder' to need replacing.

GM is in the middle of a 1.6 million give or take vehicle recall. has to do with ignition cylinders. Weight of keys can cause more of a problem...
Bogus ignition cylinders they knew about.
Realized it pre-bankruptcy, google it, it's all over the web.
Quite a few people have been killed due to vehicles being 'turned off' while driving (for lack of a better way to explain it right now) losing power, getting into accidents, etc. Just off my head now, but it is a big problem for them (GM) currently.

Here's an interesting article from The Raw Story, wait THE RAW STORY
Gotta love the media in this country, but the comments are interesting

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/1...blems-in-2001/

Last edited by yougojay; 03-14-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Because I FELT LIKE EDITING, PROBLEM??
Old 03-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
GM is in the middle of a 1.6 million give or take vehicle recall. has to do with ignition cylinders. Weight of keys can cause more of a problem...
Bogus ignition cylinders they knew about.
Realized it pre-bankruptcy, google it, it's all over the web.
Quite a few people have been killed due to vehicles being 'turned off' while driving (for lack of a better way to explain it right now) losing power, getting into accidents, etc. Just off my head now, but it is a big problem for them (GM) currently.

Here's an interesting article from The Raw Story, wait THE RAW STORY
Gotta love the media in this country, but the comments are interesting

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/1...blems-in-2001/
Thanks . That's what I meant...the lock cylinder for the ignition (sorry I didn't make that clear ). I hadn't heard about that issue re GM. Can't say I'm surprised .
Old 03-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #16
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

90% of the news out there I wish I wasn't aware of ...It makes you and makes you want to but that's not for me anymore.
I follow a lot of the GM sites being the son of a Chevy Dealer back in the day.
Really kills me how these big companies are more worried about money than the lives of the people who buy their products.
Supposedly they switches will move from the on position to 'accessory' or 'off' and lose power, brakes, steering, AIR bags... one life gone is too many.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
My point is that I would not buy an aftermarket axle/CV/hub assembly now after talking with the folks at The Driveshaft Shop. They explained to be in detail how those non-OEM offerings out there especially the ones made in the bulk of the Chinese plants having inferior heating/cooling/tooling techniques. They point blank asked, "would you like your CV to break while at highway speeds or faster?"
Very interesting. Will tip the scale to OEM for me should I need them .
Old 03-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
90% of the news out there I wish I wasn't aware of ...It makes you and makes you want to but that's not for me anymore.
I follow a lot of the GM sites being the son of a Chevy Dealer back in the day.
Really kills me how these big companies are more worried about money than the lives of the people who buy their products.
Supposedly they switches will move from the on position to 'accessory' or 'off' and lose power, brakes, steering, AIR bags... one life gone is too many.