Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
HA! Thank you again Yarisworld, drinks are on me!

Weather here today in SE New England was beautiful, sun came out in the afternoon, temp in the 50's.

I'd gotten my Hankooks this week and was going to put them on and wash and store the snows till next winter when last night I decided I would attempt adjusting my rear brakes while I had the wheels off.

It took 2 hours, changed the tires and adjusted both drums with a stop for another can of brake cleaner, got a little carried away with the first.

Well the handbrake used to go all the way up, now 3-4 clicks.

I know to a great many here this is no big deal, and fresh off it I would agree with you. Or some will say I should have changed the pads while I was in there etc. I don't know how to do that stuff.

You see if you needed someone to get your hotel or golf course project in SE Asia, that had fallen behind schedule or over budget or invariably both, back on track, I'm your guy.

Need a fourth for the member guest at your club, I'll go out in 6 over par all day long, well maybe 8, of course if we are playing for money than a 10.

But when it comes to cars I've always had a blind spot. I mean my 65 Olds, I'd flush radiator, rotate tires, change the oil or belts, that was the extent of my car knowledge after that I never really had and opportunity till I returned to the States.

Then I started monkeying around with my beloved '88 Honda Accord LXI. When I finally put the 'ol gal down just shy of a quarter of a million miles, I got the Yaris, and found you guys, actually reverse that, while researching her replacement I lurked here and then bought the Yaris.

I did the cruise control first, then quickly on the heels of that key less entry. I'd thought of fog lights but couldn't justify the money or the need and feel I would get a bigger bang for my buck with a rear sway bar. Which will probably be next.

I took pictures along the way today and hope to upload them in the next few days with another long winded narrative.

Anyway it's done, couldn't have done without all of you here.

Thanks again.

Cheers.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post

Weather here today in SE New England was beautiful, sun came out in the afternoon, temp in the 50's.

I'd gotten my Hankooks this week and was going to put them on and wash and store the snows till next winter when last night I decided I would attempt adjusting my rear brakes while I had the wheels off.

It took 2 hours, changed the tires and adjusted both drums with a stop for another can of brake cleaner, got a little carried away with the first.

Well the handbrake used to go all the way up, now 3-4 clicks.

I know to a great many here this is no big deal, and fresh off it I would agree with you. Or some will say I should have changed the pads while I was in there etc. I don't know how to do that stuff.

You see if you needed someone to get your hotel or golf course project in SE Asia, that had fallen behind schedule or over budget or invariably both, back on track, I'm your guy.

Need a fourth for the member guest at your club, I'll go out in 6 over par all day long, well maybe 8, of course if we are playing for money than a 10.

But when it comes to cars I've always had a blind spot. I mean my 65 Olds, I'd flush radiator, rotate tires, change the oil or belts, that was the extent of my car knowledge after that I never really had and opportunity till I returned to the States.

Then I started monkeying around with my beloved '88 Honda Accord LXI. When I finally put the 'ol gal down just shy of a quarter of a million miles, I got the Yaris, and found you guys, actually reverse that, while researching her replacement I lurked here and then bought the Yaris.

I did the cruise control first, then quickly on the heels of that key less entry. I'd thought of fog lights but couldn't justify the money or the need and feel I would get a bigger bang for my buck with a rear sway bar. Which will probably be next.

I took pictures along the way today and hope to upload them in the next few days with another long winded narrative.

Anyway it's done, couldn't have done without all of you here.

Thanks again.

Cheers.
.....and good to know you are enjoying the nice weather . It's over 60 degrees here, but it's raining cats and dogs (ugh, I wanted to do some work in my yard).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
.....and good to know you are enjoying the nice weather . It's over 60 degrees here, but it's raining cats and dogs (ugh, I wanted to do some work in my yard).
at least it isn't raining watermelon sized chunks of ice.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
at least it isn't raining watermelon sized chunks of ice.
. We did have freezing rain here recently, but it wasn't that bad.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
*Follow Up*

Yesterday when I finished I took the car out, just around the block to make sure there was no smoke or flames or horrific noises coming from the 2 rear tires.

Just got back from an extended drive, Hankooks seem to track well and hold the line. Little ummm "pebblely". I am running them at 38 psi, so that probably explains it.

Brake pedal is firmer and braking is definitely more "deliberate".

NP's

BTW last night I read about 4 articles and watched about 5 videos on changing your rear drum brake pads, and unless I am mistaken I was a few spring disengagements, and a couple of compressed spring retention clips away from a rear brake job. LOL.

Next time.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote