Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Dubdoc

Drives: 2009 Yaris sedan
Yaris Handling

So, here's a question for all you tech gurus.
Over the winter, the 4-lane highway near my exit has become heavily rutted due to trucks slowing for the scales. My Yaris dips and dives into these ruts, and is a real handful. The other day, I took my lighter Rabbit Pickup (NO sway bars and 35 year old technology) through the same ruts for the first time (truck is garaged for the winter). They didn't bother the truck at all.
Why do these ruts bother a 6 year old Toyota, but not a 35 year old econobox pickup????

Pics for reference

Dubdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Sweeeeet Caddy! And the first impression I've got from my '07 hatch was that the suspension must have been made from recycled pop cans and soggy cardboard. Rear sway bar helped a lot.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:54 AM   #3
Dubdoc

Thanks ! And my sentiments exactly. Good to know regarding the swaybar. Gotta try that.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
It's the tyre tread. With the "right" tread design on the Yaris, that problem will be completely eliminated.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
Dubdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
It's the tyre tread. With the "right" tread design on the Yaris, that problem will be completely eliminated.
Yeah, right......and I've got a nice bridge to sell if you're interested.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Well, believe it or not, that's up to you.

When I first got my 2007, I experienced the same problems you've mentioned above, plus absolutely crazy highway wander. I experimented with numerous tread patterns, with and without the TRD rear anti-sway bar, and found that the little Yaris is extremely sensitive to tread design; it seriously affects straight line tracking at highway speeds over smooth and "heavily rutted" surfaces.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
I can see the treads affecting the ride.

What I also see is a 6 year old car...how are the shocks and struts?-- you say it dips and dives.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
I can see the treads affecting the ride.

What I also see is a 6 year old car...how are the shocks and struts?-- you say it dips and dives.
Also a 6 year old car, when was the last alignment done? I noticed drastic improvements with the rear sway bar as well as lowering and widening the stance of my Yaris. That said, the biggest difference by far was when I got an alignment done
Old 06-01-2016, 12:29 AM   #9
froger

Drives: 08 yaris 1.8 dual vvti 5sp
There are a number of factors that could come into play ,a more rigid frame, harder suspension,after market wheel offset and width ,alignment.Also having sway bars also hinders the independent movement of each strut so what ever hits one side also effects the opposite side because it connects the left and right side together, no sway bar means more independent mobility better for uneven rough surfaces ,too many factors.
froger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:09 AM   #10
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdoc View Post
So, here's a question for all you tech gurus.
Over the winter, the 4-lane highway near my exit has become heavily rutted due to trucks slowing for the scales. My Yaris dips and dives into these ruts, and is a real handful. The other day, I took my lighter Rabbit Pickup (NO sway bars and 35 year old technology) through the same ruts for the first time (truck is garaged for the winter). They didn't bother the truck at all.
Why do these ruts bother a 6 year old Toyota, but not a 35 year old econobox pickup????

Pics for reference

A lot of it is track width related. The VW is not as wide, making it easier to miss the ruts, I also believe it has a square width. The Yaris track being staggered and relatively wide can find it darting about on uneven surfaces.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:49 AM   #11
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdoc View Post
Yeah, right......and I've got a nice bridge to sell if you're interested.
What a dick.

Anyhow, I drive 70 miles everyday and also felt a need for improvement on the highway. I switched my tires to Michelin Defenders and it made a world of difference. Not saying it will change how you feel how the car handles when you hit ruts etc....point is tires do make a big difference. I installed a rear sway bar and that was money well spent. Although the VW may handle your inability to avoid ruts and pot holes....much like my wife, I have a strong feeling the overall ride in the Yaris is much smoother as VW's are known to have a stiffer suspension which is the trade off. If that doesn't matter to you....drive around in the truck....the ladies dig it.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

When I bought my '07, I was living in Florida where many highways are grooved (for better traction in rain). Some cars I discovered are really affected by this road surface... and some aren't. The little Yaris got pulled all over the road as it followed the grooves. (BTW, this is a common complaint with the Prius, as well). In addition, the Yaris suffered from terrible highway wander even on smooth roads... and especially in crosswinds. The car was downright scary to drive at highway speeds!

From feedback on our forum, I tried the TRD rear anti-sway bar, which certainly improved handling, but really didn't do much to help with straight-line tracking problems.

I began experimenting with different tyres and finally found tread designs that completely eliminated highway wander.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #13
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post

I began experimenting with different tyres and finally found tread designs that completely eliminated highway wander.
Sure would be helpful to mention which ones you got ;)
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #14
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Sure would be helpful to mention which ones you got ;)
In the past, I've submitted numerous posts (with details) and none received any interest from other members... whose only REAL solution to the problem was a rear anti-sway bar, which definitely improves handling, but doesn't eliminate highway wander.

You can search for my other threads and posts.

In my experience, the worst tyre for highway wander (on the Yaris) was the Nitto NeoGen and the best was the Zeetex HP102+.
I ran 2 sets of Zeetex tyres. Currently, I'm on my second set of Kumho Ecsta 4x tyres, and they work very well.
Attached Images