Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
MRxAmazing

Drives: 2009 Yaris 2-door Hatchback
Question Hello! New to the Yaris world! (questions inside)

Hello all! I just recently purchased a 2009 Toyota Yaris 2-door hatchback (78,000 miles) from a used car dealer. I'm skeptical about my purchase still because I had just bought a car from the same dealer that died in my driveway in less than a week later. I'm hoping that you guys and girls here can help me feel comfortable with my purchase.

Here's some of the things I am concerned with:
  • Maintenance required light is on. Should this concern me?
  • Does this car have many issues or things that should be replaced by now?
  • What should I be weary of with this vehicle?
  • I sometimes feel the car is decelerating quicker than it should be. Am I crazy?
  • I haven't seen anything to check the RPM on the dash. Maybe I really am crazy.

Please feel free to chime in with any thoughts or advice. Thank you all!
MRxAmazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
daddz07

Drives: Yaris 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to daddz07
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxAmazing View Post
Hello all! I just recently purchased a 2009 Toyota Yaris 2-door hatchback (78,000 miles) from a used car dealer. I'm skeptical about my purchase still because I had just bought a car from the same dealer that died in my driveway in less than a week later. I'm hoping that you guys and girls here can help me feel comfortable with my purchase.

• I sometimes feel the car is decelerating quicker than it should be. Am I crazy?
  • I haven't seen anything to check the RPM on the dash. Maybe I really am crazy.

Please feel free to chime in with any thoughts or advice. Thank you all!
I have my car for 8yrs and currently at 120k miles and still kicking ass with no leaks or problem at all. Of course with normal wear and tear of other parts but no issues at all..engine..tranny..joints..suspension..clutch ...still all original..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
daddz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:

- get an oil change done

- no, just recall work

- nothing

- automatic transmission I assume. Probably no issues unless a brake is dragging

- car is not equipped with a tachometer
Welcome aboard.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
MRxAmazing

What if the oil is fine (supposedly) and the light is still on?
Old 07-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
then you can clear the maintenance light yourself.

1. turn on ignition
2. set odometer to trip A
3. turn off ignition
4. push and hold down odometer button (preset to trip A in step 2)
5. turn on ignition
6. keep holding trip A on until it stops flashing
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
MRxAmazing

OK I will look further into resetting the light once I know with 100% certainty that it has actually been changed.

What's the likelihood of a dragging brake? I had something happen with my sable that when the brakes heated up, my calipers (I think) would expand and actually try to stop my car while I was still stepping on the gas.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
WeeYari

Quote:
OK I will look further into resetting the light once I know with 100% certainty that it has actually been changed.
There really are no smarts behind what triggers the maintenance required indicator other than the car tracking time/mileage since last oil change. If it is on, chances are good that you have reached the threshold since it was last reset. I say get an oil change done so that you would now be in control of this maintenance item instead of guessing when it was last done.

Quote:
What's the likelihood of a dragging brake? I had something happen with my sable that when the brakes heated up, my calipers (I think) would expand and actually try to stop my car while I was still stepping on the gas.
You stating car decelerating faster than you think it should is entirely subjective. On a 2009, there is a chance that a caliper slider could be sticking. Jack corners of car up an spin wheels. You will hear a very light scrapping sound if brakes a functioning properly. Scraping will be louder if a pad is indeed dragging. Same with the rears. Spin the wheel and listen. Also spin with e-brake engaged/not engaged to ensure that e-brake is not seizing.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #8
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Just curious as to why a person would buy a second vehicle from a dealer that they obviously don't trust. The first car died within a week. And the Yaris has a maintenance light on. Was this on at the dealer? Sounds like punishment to me.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:26 AM   #9
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
If your Yaris is an auto transmission, the extra dceleration you are feeling could be the trans changing down a gear. It will do this to provide engine braking, usually when going down a hil and applying the brakesl. This is easy to see on the versions with a tachometer, as the RPMs will increase.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
What if the oil is fine (supposedly) and the light is still on?
if that check engine light is a recent issue it could be something as simple as the gas cap wasnt tightened properly, if its on its sending a code that a code reader can pick up get yourself a code reader or have a garage read it for you.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #11
WeeYari

^ OP indicated Maintenance Light, not Check Engine.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #12
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
^ OP indicated Maintenance Light, not Check Engine.
i've never seen a maintenance required light on my Canadian 08 Yaris sedan, do American versions of the car come with a maintenance required light and a check engine light?
A little research and it appears some Yaris models do have a maintenance required light, heres how to turn it off=
https://www.google.ca/search?site=&s....0.wTtjy79nHBQ
Old 07-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #13
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i've never seen a maintenance required light on my Canadian 08 Yaris sedan, do American versions of the car come with a maintenance required light and a check engine light?
A little research and it appears some Yaris models do have a maintenance required light, heres how to turn it off=
https://www.google.ca/search?site=&s....0.wTtjy79nHBQ
Yeah, mine has the Maintenance Required light. As you approach needing service, it starts to flash a few times on start up to let you know it'll be time soon. Once you're at the point where maintenance is due, it stays on.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote