Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Crank Pulley

Hey guys I seen some of the different manufacturers of crank pulleys on here and was curious if they really worked. What is your experiences with aftermarket ones and are they a pain in the @$$ to put on? I was thinking of buying one but didnt know if it is safe to replace the stock one. Thanks again for the help guys.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Yes, they work. The favorite on here (IMO) and the one I ordered is made by Non Stop Tuning (and sold by them and Dezod). ZPI also makes one.

Not too hard to install, but tensioning the belts is better for someone with experience IMO. This is one mod I personally will have done at the shop.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Yes they really do work. I have had mine since the NST group buy and I have never had any regrets. www.NonStopTuning.com is a leader in pulley kits and they do top notch work. Even better is their customer service. Do a quick search and decide for yourself.

This is a good place to start
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4737

Old 06-18-2007, 01:43 AM   #4
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
And they come in groovy colors. You can easily mark the current position of the belt tensioner with a paint pen. Loosen the belt, change the pulley (do you need an impact gun?), reinstall and re-align the tensioner with the mark. It's pretty straight forward as far as this stuff goes.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:48 AM   #5
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
i did mine without an impact gun... the only thing that was a bit** was the 128 lb torque (<---spelled it wrong) of the bolt holding the pulley. cause the pulley wants to spin while ur tryin
Old 06-18-2007, 03:19 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkratt View Post
i did mine without an impact gun... the only thing that was a bit** was the 128 lb torque (<---spelled it wrong) of the bolt holding the pulley. cause the pulley wants to spin while ur tryin
LOL our engine's crank pulley is held in by more torque than it can produce

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I got the NST pulley and yes does it ever work!

I needed impact wrench to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkratt View Post
the only thing that was a bit** was the 128 lb torque of the bolt holding the pulley. cause the pulley wants to spin while ur tryin
To prevent pulley from spinning while torquing the bolt, I just slipped a fat-ass screwdriver through one of the holes (there are several little places on the block to wedge the tip into). This worked MUCH better than shop rag looped through.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

"torque" was correct, Jerkratt
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
me and my friend used a crow bar....
Old 06-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
slvryaris

Since there is stuff on top of the engine blocking the way did everyone jack it up and go from the bottom of the car to uninstall the old one and reinstall the new one? Also what is the difference between the NST and ZPI other then cost?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

welll..... now that you asked..... nah, I won't go into my history with ZPI -- I ordered from NST. Period.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #12
slvryaris

Got ya. I was just curious if one was lighter then the other, and I am still curious about how it was installed either from the top of the engine or the bottom. Also they have two options on their website for this pulley. Which one is it???
Old 06-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Here is link to diy writeup, also many other comments re. NST pulley http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ey+install+diy
Old 06-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #14
slvryaris

Thanks for the info. It looks like they are doin a whole lite kit for the car. DUUHHH sorry I got confused..
Old 06-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #15
YarisGuy

Well since you asked, NST brought the idea of a lightweight crank pulley to the forums. The NST pulley is lighter and is hard anodized for more durability. NST is used by more members here than the other brand and NST is working on other affordable products for us as we speak. Do some searching and you'll see how great they are.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #16
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris View Post
Hey guys I seen some of the different manufacturers of crank pulleys on here and was curious if they really worked. What is your experiences with aftermarket ones and are they a pain in the @$$ to put on? I was thinking of buying one but didnt know if it is safe to replace the stock one. Thanks again for the help guys.
Its similar to lightening the flywheel. More snappy and rev happy. It will drop rpms quicker on shifts though,and have more engine braking. Baisicly you sacrafice smoothness for responsiveness,how much I don't know...I don't have one...don't plan on it either,I want my engine bearings to last as long as possible,and I don' believe thei is a dampening with the lightweights ive seen. I will be snatching up unerdrive pulleys when they come out though
Old 06-19-2007, 02:11 AM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6T5 View Post
Its similar to lightening the flywheel. More snappy and rev happy. It will drop rpms quicker on shifts though,and have more engine braking. Baisicly you sacrafice smoothness for responsiveness,how much I don't know...I don't have one...don't plan on it either,I want my engine bearings to last as long as possible,and I don' believe thei is a dampening with the lightweights ive seen. I will be snatching up unerdrive pulleys when they come out though
You'll never see an underdriven crank pulley for a Yaris. Crank case design doesn't allow for it.

My experience is this... I paid a little over $100 for my crank pulley, and I have the NST flavor. The only hard thing about the install is the crank bolt, but other than that it is easy. Just bring a really strong friend. The part is certainly worth it... you'll notice quicker throttle response and more power, as well as a more efficient engine. If you're interested in playing with your 1NZ, this is a really good place to start.

Of course, don't buy anything other than NST or the YW Mafia will come to your house and kill your babies. That and you don't want to waste your money on anything less than the best.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:39 AM   #18
YarisGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Of course, don't buy anything other than NST or the YW Mafia will come to your house