Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
grains2
I've made a post!

Drives: none
Buying a new Yaris - need help!!

Hi everyone-

So I'm buying my first new car ever, and after much research, I've decided on getting a Yaris!

I want to get an automatic sedan, preferrably with power package, but will settle for just the convenience package if there's a deal I can't just pass up.

Being as its my first experience in getting a new car (previous two were used), I have absolutely NO IDEA how to go about working a deal with the dealership and not paying MSRP or any of that.

I was hoping you all could offer me any advice on finding out invoice prices and how to go about not having to pay the sticker price/MSRP. Completely new to all of this so I apologize for not understanding a lot of the terms!

Not sure if its of any help, but I live in Kissimmee, FL and there are three Toyota dealerships I can choose from - Toyota of Orlando, Courtesy Toyota of Orlando and Central Florida Toyota. I'm leaning towards the latter since they seem to have to most in stock cars and its closest to where I live. Any help you guys could give would be immensely appreciated!!! Thank you so much!

-matt
grains2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Indianspringsaz

Drives: 07 Bitchin Blue HB
Edmunds.com
Study up on the car, options, prices.
Be informed before you talk to anyone, Watch there fees the might tack on.
Indianspringsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
petesimac

Drives: Yaris LB
First, figure out exactly what you want, even if you can't find the exact car, know what you want. Then, pick up the phone and ask each dealership what their best price is on a car that has the following - they'll have to give you a pretty good price, just to get you in the door. You'll hear some say that the price is the price, while others, the hungrier salespeople, will give you a great price. Then, when you go in to the dealership with the best price, take the test drive, hem and haw, say, boy, I'd really like to buy one today, but I really can't go any higher than ______. You won't be guaranteed the lowest price (it seems that location in the US determines that), but you won't pay sticker. Even better, don't buy when you go in for the test drive (if you can stand it); walk away and then call that salesperson back in the middle of the week -- you might get an even better price.

More than anything else, if you're a young person, take someone older with you, just to make sure they don't try to pull a fast one on you. Oh, and know how much your budget will allow you to pay comfortably each month. You really shouldn't do a 72 month loan if you can help it. I had to do a 60 month, even though I wanted to do a 48 month load, which is preferable. Finally, try to get the best interest rate possible; this, of course, will be determined by your credit rating.

Good luck.
petesimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:02 AM   #4
adamschneider

Drives: Bayou Blue 2dr, AT
Call the dealership and ask to speak with the Fleet Department. The Fleet people aren't nearly as slimy as typical car salesmen; they'll be happy to show you the invoice price, and they'll offer you a no-haggle price that's probably within a few hundred dollars of invoice.

Then, if you want, you can always take that quote to a slimy salesman at another dealership and see if they can do any better! My experience was that the margins on Yarii are so low that they really couldn't; the best they could do was try to give me a "free tires and oil changes for life" thing (which is a scam where the fine print requires that you have ALL routine maintenance done at the dealership or the whole thing is null and void).
adamschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
YarisBlazer

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Come to Toyota of Tampa Bay here in Tampa on Fletcher Ave (quick hour drive from Orlando); talk to the INternet sales department; my var was listed on the Toyota site at $13,135 and I got it for $12,485; after tax, title, etc...it was $14,060 off the lot; their INternet sales dept is the best; only pressue I got was when I didnt get the extended warranty which is worthless cuz its a freakin' Brand new Toyota!!!!
YarisBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Don't forget about the $500-600 dealer fee in Florida!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote