Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Angry Andy
angryandy.net

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5-dr black HB
Send a message via AIM to Angry Andy Send a message via MSN to Angry Andy
Little things I've learned about the Yaris

This thread is for all the little surprises about your Yaris, good or bad, that you didn't exactly know of before signing papers. Others who have recently acquired theirs are welcome to post their own surprises, too.

Origin: Canada
Year: 2007
Type: 5-door LB
Color: Black
Transmission: Automatic
Trim: LE, B package (ABS w/ EBD, A/C, power windows, keyless entry)
Options: Cruise Control, center armrest, center console cupholder

In no particular order:

1. Don't keep loose change in the cubby pockets on either side of the climate control system. There is a small gap that coins can easily slide into, never to return unless you take the dash apart. Refusing to keep pennies anywhere else for the time being, I covered up the gaps with strips of gaffer's tape. Problem solved.

2. The clearcoat scuffs and scratches easily. This has been addressed ad nauseum in this board. I will not add anything further other than the idea that I have learned my lesson- be more careful when opening doors with my left hand, as my wristwatch is on that appendage. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to apply two coats of wax.

3. The hood is very lightweight- so light, that a waitress with next to no muscle mass could carry 3-lb. porterhouse cut steak dinners for 6 on it without breaking a sweat. Keep this in mind when closing it- either drop it from a higher position than most other cars' hoods, or push it down gently to engage the latch.

4. The engine bay is roomier than expected. One can easily get their arms around almost the entire engine block. Changing the headlamps looks to be a bit tricky, especially on the driver's side.

5. The keyless entry option included only one remote, and it's integrated with the body of the master ignition key. This is a nice design trend, making people's keychains a bit less bulky- but if you wanted to grant someone access to your car w/o access to drive it away, you're SOL. Plus, if you damage the blade, you're out $100 for the entire key, or so I'm told.

6. Forget attaching most sunglasses holders to the sunvisors- they're too damn thick.

7. The car's break-in period is approximately the first 1600km (1000mi); according to specs in the owner's manual. A bit shorter than I expected.

8. The cabin isn't as noisy on the highway as I expected- even when I race the engine. I recall reading 72 dB in a critic's review of the car somewhere. Does anyone here have a loudness meter handy to verify this? Cabin noise usually isn't an issue for yours truly- that's because Slayer and Meshuggah are frequent visitors to the car's sound system. And who wants to listen to those bands at a reasonable volume? I know that I don't.

9. The last three digits on the car's license plate are "666". I rule. One of the sales chicks asked if that was okay, to that I responded:

"Hail Satan."

10. Have fun finding the power mirror and console dimmer switches in the dark- they're not back-lit when the exterior lamps are switched on. Also not back-lit:

-turn signal, wiper and cruise control stalks
-all door-mounted power window and lock controls (only the word "auto" on the driver's window switch is back-lit)

11. The daytimer lamps cannot be switched off unless the car is turned off, parking brake applied, and the car restarted. Some other cars' DRLs can be turned off simply by applying the parking brake w/o touching the ignition key. I'm tempted to pop open the steering column and yank the DRL relay box altogether.

12. The EPS rules. Period.

13. The LCD clock display appears to support the 24-hr. standard, yet it does not address that feature in the owner's manual. Does anyone know anything about this?

More to come later.
Angry Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
Sounds to me like you got a great car. Your just a nitpicker. You and my frist wife can get along great.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe keeney View Post
Sounds to me like you got a great car. Your just a nitpicker. You and my frist wife can get along great.
dood he is "ANGRY" Andy..... don't think anyone who would make there handle that name would ever be happy..... do you?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
A crybaby a crybaby
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
My two cents: I was seriously surprised and annoyed when I found out that none of the American-released Yarii have a cabin filter, just an empty holder. My dealership insists none can be retrofitted; however, thanks to Yarisworld, I got a Bosch at Autozone for $15.
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
My two cents: I was seriously surprised and annoyed when I found out that none of the American-released Yarii have a cabin filter, just an empty holder. My dealership insists none can be retrofitted; however, thanks to Yarisworld, I got a Bosch at Autozone for $15.
what was the part # you got at autozone?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
nice thread! here's a few observations...

As the weather is cooler here and air conditioning is not absolutely required at al times, I can noticeably feel a power difference in the engine at low revs, making the car a lot more responsive in these situations.

And I love how the car can be easily dismantled (dashboard and other interior trim), a real modder's dream

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
well i found out intermittent wipers aren't really intermittent.. only one setting.

and another thing i've found is that.... guys whistle at me more when i drive my yaris *scratches head*

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
attractive girl + attractive car, don't be so surprised

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 08-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Angry Andy, are you really Andy Kaufman?
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
MarkBen

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Met. Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
and another thing i've found is that.... guys whistle at me more when i drive my yaris *scratches head*
Me too... and I don't live in San Francisco....
MarkBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
Angry Andy
angryandy.net

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5-dr black HB
Send a message via AIM to Angry Andy Send a message via MSN to Angry Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe keeney View Post
A crybaby a crybaby
Let's be friends.

Quote:
well i found out intermittent wipers aren't really intermittent.. only one setting.
They're still intermittent, but they lack the manual delay control that often accompanies this feature. The mist setting ought to be standard on every vehicle in production. I use it quite often- my neck of the woods is one of the foggiest regions on Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Angry Andy, are you really Andy Kaufman?
No.
Angry Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
attractive girl + attractive car, don't be so surprised
+1
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #14
sherryberry

Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBen View Post
Me too... and I don't live in San Francisco....
I don't live in San Francisco either... I live in IL.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
I don't live in San Francisco either... I live in IL.
WOOSH... (sound of joke flying high above sherry's head)

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 08-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #16
sherryberry

i'm at work.. i don't have to think.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #17
hoperrs

Drives: 06 Yaris RS 5dr bayou blue
The only thing about my Yaris that irritates me is the non-adjustable intermittent wipers.
hoperrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #18
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
WOOSH... (sound of joke flying high above sherry's head)
Glad that someone else caught that.