Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-23-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
gm830

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
limo tint question

i'm planning to get my yaris in the next few months (just got a good job :D ) and I was going to want to have the 5% tint all around and was wondering if it's really difficult to see out of at night for those of you that have this...my dad's truck is tinted dark and sometimes it's hard to see at night, but it's hard to see behind me in his truck anyways...so just wanting to know what everyone else's experience is...i don't want to have to rely on a rear view camera to see everything lol (do those work while in drive?)
gm830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
I had 5% on my eclipse - at night you could see cars behind you by their headlights showing dimly through the tint. But without light like that - your pretty much blind. If you were backing out of a driveway at night and someone was behind you, your reverse lights wouldnt be enough to see them. One night I was leaving the Garden center where i worked and there is really no light out there - I backed into a pull cart that I couldnt see and damaged my rear bumper...

I also got pulled over once and got a ticket for that same tint...thats why this time around I decided to just go with 20% and avoid all the hassles I dealt with the 5...

Looks cool though!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
cdmyaris

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
my future window tint plan, 20% on front, limo on 2 back windows, and 35% on rear window (the one u look back with).

I choose this so i avoid hassle with cops on tint. But you can do 5% all around. Same time you losing visual. Its always up to you and its your car.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I did 15% all the way around.... it is the same % as the rear as of an SUV from the factory so you can see out it fine at night
Old 08-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
I just got mine done. Legal for Florida which means your fronts aren't very tinted. Helps on the heat coming into the cabin however.

I wanted that chromey tint but went for the black instead (Black yaris are you listening?)
Old 08-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
I have 20% around the back half of the car, and 50% on the front half(minus the windshield). I haven't had any problems seeing out the back window at night.
landrym28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
paradigm
o.O

Drives: 8
Honestly with 5% on the rear three its not that bad. During the daytime visibility is good and at night i dont have a problem seeing traffic.
paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I agree, 5% or 6% on the rear three are no problem. Even with sunglasses on I can see out of them just fine, and at night headlights show up nicely but no longer pierce through my eyes into my brain.

Backing up at night can be more difficult than usual, but it's not like you've ever had great visibility in that situation anyway.

Put a strip of 5 or 6% across the top of the windshield, too, and then go as dark as is legal in your area on the front doors (30% in my area).

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
I just got mine done. Legal for Florida which means your fronts aren't very tinted. Helps on the heat coming into the cabin however.

I wanted that chromey tint but went for the black instead (Black yaris are you listening?)
Damn Ricer with your chrome tint
Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
gm830

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I agree, 5% or 6% on the rear three are no problem. Even with sunglasses on I can see out of them just fine, and at night headlights show up nicely but no longer pierce through my eyes into my brain.

Backing up at night can be more difficult than usual, but it's not like you've ever had great visibility in that situation anyway.

Put a strip of 5 or 6% across the top of the windshield, too, and then go as dark as is legal in your area on the front doors (30% in my area).
ha i'm planning to go darker than the legal limit CA is a little too strict on the front windows...i just want it all dark especailly with the stereo stuff i plan to buy, don't want any thugs looking in for something to steal...and i think the dark tint will help when i have dates in the car...just kidding maybe i'll settle for just 15% for back and 20% for front
gm830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
15 and 20 are what I usually get. I have 15% on the Yaris.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
OgDogg
Gas Guzzler

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S
I've got 5% all the way around... It definitely affects your night vision. I wish I would have gone with about a 20% tint.
OgDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I have been considering the reflective stuff myself. I think it looks really nice. I had limo on the rear windows of my Golf and no problems seeing.

I kinda like without for now though.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #14
vacantj

Drives: Yaris 4Dr sedan
I just got a honda civic and did the 5% limo tint and I have such a hard time seeing outside - on the freeway with cars in back of me it's cool but it's soo dark (I'm getting used to it)
vacantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #15
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
Ive had my 5% for a year and i got pulled over a week ago and talked myself out of the ticket. They help keep ur interior brand new unless the sun just eats at your dashboard and your seats especially if your have dark interior like me. Living in miami, its extremely hot and it helps keep the sunlight out, and heat but at night its tough. There are to many pros to having limo tints and only one negative being not seeing stuff that isnt illuminated at night. But a soluiton which I use constantly driving at night is just pull down ur windows and you'll be fine.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:15 AM   #16
ags

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
Just remember that ANY tint on the front windows is illegal in California and, like having no front plate, is a huge cop magnet.
ags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:29 AM   #17
pp.sweet

Drives: Red Yaris HatchBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsteverino889 View Post
Ive had my 5% for a year and i got pulled over a week ago and talked myself out of the ticket. They help keep ur interior brand new unless the sun just eats at your dashboard and your seats especially if your have dark interior like me. Living in miami, its extremely hot and it helps keep the sunlight out, and heat but at night its tough. There are to many pros to having limo tints and only one negative being not seeing stuff that isnt illuminated at night. But a soluiton which I use constantly driving at night is just pull down ur windows and you'll be fine.
What if it's raining like hell...what do you do take a bath..hahaha

wELCOME TO oUR wORLD..
pp.sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:43 AM   #18
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
I think you'd have a REAL HARD time seeing out your back, esp when backing up, as someone said. I'd not want it done on mine for that reason!

I have a 35$ tint all around, but really wish I'd gone darker! Its not stark enough!

Should have went with the 20% all around... :( :(