Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #55
roxy1
 
Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
Obsolete because the shapes aren't really well defined, it looks like nothign and everything... But the yaris will be obsolete too with the next generation. Usually, german cars have a better design, they still look fine even when the new gen is released.

And I work for a restaurant, we had 2-3 accent (01 to 03 or so) before and after we got two echo hatchback (Canadian market) and a bunch of yaris now (no 2012 yet), and the accent defininetely wear faster. accent < yaris < echo.

And I can certify you that the yaris 2012 has more useful room for it's occupiants than the accent.

As for the cargo volume, I don't beleive the figures they give .
you are in total denial. talking about accents from 10 years ago is meaningless. the 12 accent is worlds away from those cars.

for anyone who has been in both cars, the difference in interior room and interior quality is obvious in favor of the accent.

as a manual transmission only driver, i was stunned that toyota did nothing to the awful long rubbery shifter in the previous yaris. it is one of the reasons i found my 07 yaris less fun than a stick should be. id agree with others who describe it as being akin to moving a golf club through cold tar.

bottom line. one car feels like an effort from a company that couldnt make too many upgrades to their cheapest car for a variety of reasons, the value of the yen being a major one of them. the other car feels like it competes more with the compacts even though its pricing means people will cross shop it with subcompacts. (and its interior isnt as nice as most compacts).

ive said it before. the yaris has its attributes. it will get better than advertised mileage and that engine while old and a bit crude by todays standards, will be reliable.

utility. i need as much as i can get but i also need really good mileage. the cargo numbers are real. the accent even has more cargo space than the matrix behind the rear seats, and that closely translates when the seats are folded down. i owned a matrix, and i liked that the accent feels very similar in interior room.

Last edited by roxy1; 12-10-2011 at 11:42 PM.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #56
broody
 
Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 60
Aside from the reliability, I'm talking about the 2012 accent...
And for reliability, the 06-11 accent didn't prove to be as reliable as the 06-11 yaris if you ask me.

For me the difference in interior room is obvious in favor to the yaris.
The accent still has nothing to do with the compact cars market, and it's fine since it's not intended to.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #57
CanIHazYarisHatch?
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
you are in total denial. talking about accents from 10 years ago is meaningless. the 12 accent is worlds away from those cars.

for anyone who has been in both cars, the difference in interior room and interior quality is obvious in favor of the accent.

bottom line. one car feels like an effort from a company that couldnt make too many upgrades to their cheapest car for a variety of reasons, the value of the yen being a major one of them. the other car feels like it competes more with the compacts even though its pricing means people will cross shop it with subcompacts.
I agree with both of you, but for different reasons.

I think the Accent will be a better car, especially where MPGs (highway) are counted. I know that Accent will sell in crazy numbers, and work tirelessly for thousands of U.S. drivers. However, subjective as it is...I cannot get into the Accent's styling, and on a more personal note, I can't trust Hyundais yet.

Namely, the depreciation curve is very harsh. If/when I go to sell my car (Yaris/Accent/Fiesta/etc.), I want to recoup as much of my money as possible. I cannot do that with the Accent. Plus, I am not feeling the "styling" of that car. The Yaris is more clean and restrained. Call it vanilla, call it what you want.

But I like it. Especially the triangular tail lamps and the rake of the rear hatch and rear sideglass/B-pillar profile on the 3-door. Looks purposeful, yet still elegant. Again, subjective as all hell, but that's what makes us human, and why we all don't just drive minivans and be done with it.

Finally, I'll admit I'm kind of a badge snob. Toyota earned their pedigree decades ago, now they feast on it (not as much these days now that they have been slacking). Hyundai still has a few thousand calories to burn, a few more sportscars to build before I'll give them a shot. But for now, in my biased eyes, Toyota is the "safe" choice. If I flew by the seat of my pants, I'd get a Chevy (Daewoo) Sonic with the turbo and 6-speed and just call it a day. But we all know those won't last as long as the Yaris...or the Accent. But god, what fun that Sonic must be to drive before it falls apart the day the warranty expires!

Having sat in (not driven!) the new Accent, I'd rather keep my Geo. No, that wasn't a joke. I could not imagine willingly paying thousands for that car. I'd rather have no payment and drive the Metro into the ground.

The Yaris? That little car excites the hell out of me. I love the way it looks (inside and out), the way it drives, and it's optimistic little personality. It's little mono-wiper thing. It's little uncluttered 3-spoke steering wheel. I don't know why, but perhaps I was just the customer (early 30s, first new car, male, soon-to-be-professional) Akio Toyoda had this restyle done for.

You just know Toyota is losing money on each one they sell in the U.S.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #58
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
I just don't get buying a new car when i just bought one a few years ago. My yaris will be my econo box until i die. When I buy another car it will be a sports car, not a replacement econo box. If I ever total my yaris, I would replace it with a used yaris of the same vintage.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #59
CanIHazYarisHatch?
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I just don't get buying a new car when i just bought one a few years ago. My yaris will be my econo box until i die. When I buy another car it will be a sports car, not a replacement econo box. If I ever total my yaris, I would replace it with a used yaris of the same vintage.
Can't fault you for that.

This will be my first new car.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #60
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned
 
Drives: yaris
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: earth
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I just don't get buying a new car when i just bought one a few years ago. My yaris will be my econo box until i die. When I buy another car it will be a sports car, not a replacement econo box. If I ever total my yaris, I would replace it with a used yaris of the same vintage.
this is me.

half of my peers have the latest BMW or Mercedes or whatever 50,000+ car.



But what I roll with is: a beat to hell but mechanically perfect 1999 4runner limited, for woods adventures, and the micromobile Yaris. If my vehicles present an image to people and I think they judge me by it fine, if they have brains they know why I roll with these two vehicles because they are essentially flawless -for what I need from them-.

I challenge anyone to find a car they like and 100% do not care what others think...that is gonna be tough for those people
who think what you wear, or how your hair style is doing, or what you drive dictates who you are and your societal status

Last edited by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby; 12-11-2011 at 10:47 PM.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #61
CanIHazYarisHatch?
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
this is me.

half of my peers have the latest BMW or Mercedes or whatever 50,000+ car.

I can afford any new car on the market (except ones above 100,000)

But what I roll with is: a beat to hell but mechanically perfect 1999 4runner limited, for woods adventures, and the micromobile Yaris. If my vehicles present an image to people and I think they judge me by it fine, if they have brains they know why I roll with these two vehicles because they are essentially flawless -for what I need from them-.

I challenge anyone to find a car they like and 100% do not care what others think...that is gonna be tough for those people
who think what you wear, or how your hair style is doing, or what you drive dictates who you are and your societal status
The 2012 Subaru BRZ is rumored to be only $25k. Just saying...you only live once. It's awesome having no car payment, but as Ned Flanders once said: "Sometimes, you just have to spoil yourself!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcMw4zl1r0k

Last edited by CanIHazYarisHatch?; 12-11-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Flanders
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #62
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken
 
mr9865's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Green Bay WI
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
I agree with both of you, but for different reasons.

I think the Accent will be a better car, especially where MPGs (highway) are counted. I know that Accent will sell in crazy numbers, and work tirelessly for thousands of U.S. drivers. However, subjective as it is...I cannot get into the Accent's styling, and on a more personal note, I can't trust Hyundais yet.

Namely, the depreciation curve is very harsh. If/when I go to sell my car (Yaris/Accent/Fiesta/etc.), I want to recoup as much of my money as possible. I cannot do that with the Accent. Plus, I am not feeling the "styling" of that car. The Yaris is more clean and restrained. Call it vanilla, call it what you want.

But I like it. Especially the triangular tail lamps and the rake of the rear hatch and rear sideglass/B-pillar profile on the 3-door. Looks purposeful, yet still elegant. Again, subjective as all hell, but that's what makes us human, and why we all don't just drive minivans and be done with it.

Finally, I'll admit I'm kind of a badge snob. Toyota earned their pedigree decades ago, now they feast on it (not as much these days now that they have been slacking). Hyundai still has a few thousand calories to burn, a few more sportscars to build before I'll give them a shot. But for now, in my biased eyes, Toyota is the "safe" choice. If I flew by the seat of my pants, I'd get a Chevy (Daewoo) Sonic with the turbo and 6-speed and just call it a day. But we all know those won't last as long as the Yaris...or the Accent. But god, what fun that Sonic must be to drive before it falls apart the day the warranty expires!

Having sat in (not driven!) the new Accent, I'd rather keep my Geo. No, that wasn't a joke. I could not imagine willingly paying thousands for that car. I'd rather have no payment and drive the Metro into the ground.

The Yaris? That little car excites the hell out of me. I love the way it looks (inside and out), the way it drives, and it's optimistic little personality. It's little mono-wiper thing. It's little uncluttered 3-spoke steering wheel. I don't know why, but perhaps I was just the customer (early 30s, first new car, male, soon-to-be-professional) Akio Toyoda had this restyle done for.

You just know Toyota is losing money on each one they sell in
the U.S.

Im 25 and it fits me exactly too.
__________________
mr9865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:42 AM   #63
CanIHazYarisHatch?
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr9865 View Post
Im 25 and it fits me exactly too.
Just remember, when you are driving that sweet little car, that all the guys in Accents and Picantos...they will have some very steep depreciation to answer for when they sell. Still not an issue with Toyota and Honda. You chose wisely, friend.

They? Well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI



I can't wait to be in your shoes, rolling in my new Toyota. It's gonna be so cash.

I'm going to sleep in that car for a week, just inhaling the sweet carcinogenic "new car smell".
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #64
junorico24
 
junorico24's Avatar
 
Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 642
Of course, cars will get better than the previous.The accent is a nice car.But I just can't go through the head ache of financing another car, when I have good, not great but a good yaris.That's paid off.The only thing about these new cars is they are apparently more fun to drive.Well, the yaris with suspension upgrades and lowered is no slouch either.Am I right?
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #65
broody
 
Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 60
Driving pleasure in econoboxes is usually improved by reducing comfort (Honda fit vs old civic hatchback, Echo vs tercel for example, the older ones were more comfy yet less fun to drive) so it's a matter of taste more than anything, if you want both comfort and pleasure, you must pay more and get something like a Golf.

Personnally, I like sport cars, but Quebec roads are in terrible conditions, so I prefere to have a soft-ish suspension, and road noise is important too for me (sadly not improved in the yaris 2012).

I have high expectations about the next generation Corolla, if they improve it the way they improved the rest of their recent cars (prius 3, yaris 3, etc.) it should be the best car in the world.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #66
CanIHazYarisHatch?
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
Driving pleasure in econoboxes is usually improved by reducing comfort (Honda fit vs old civic hatchback, Echo vs tercel for example, the older ones were more comfy yet less fun to drive) so it's a matter of taste more than anything, if you want both comfort and pleasure, you must pay more and get something like a Golf.

Personnally, I like sport cars, but Quebec roads are in terrible conditions, so I prefere to have a soft-ish suspension, and road noise is important too for me (sadly not improved in the yaris 2012).

I have high expectations about the next generation Corolla, if they improve it the way they improved the rest of their recent cars (prius 3, yaris 3, etc.) it should be the best car in the world.
Toyota knows how their bread is buttered. Trust that the next Corolla will bring some fight to the playground when it's finally redesigned.

As it stands, it's an also-ran compared to most of the competition.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #67
Strider199
 
Strider199's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2012 Yaris 3door 5speed
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 88
Interesting read to say the least,

for the last 30 years I've been driving a VW Rabbit, Golf or Jetta diesel. This ended Nov 19 2011 after my Golf TDi and I hit a deer at 90km/hr. I went to the VW stealership and their base price was $31,000. I left thinking that was way too much to pay for a mode of transportation to work and back.

As I was driving my wife's mini-van home I was thinking about other options. All of a sudden it hit me, my Dad (who is kind of hard on his vehicles) bought a Yaris in 2006 and the car still has it's original pads and shoes! He has not had any bad experiences in that time frame so (light bulb came on), I went to the Toyota dealer and ordered my 2012 Yaris.

Takes a bit to get used to the clutch but I like her. Nice economy car, gets me from point A to point B and back without me cursing at the pump.
__________________
New to the Toyota World, be nice.
Strider199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:33 AM   #68
broody
 
Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
Toyota knows how their bread is buttered. Trust that the next Corolla will bring some fight to the playground when it's finally redesigned.

As it stands, it's an also-ran compared to most of the competition.
What's disapointing about the Corolla in my opinion, it's not that much that it's bland (they have always been), but that they never fixed some major issues. The front seats never had really enough leg room for tall people, and in addition the 09+ seats are less comfortable than the 03-08 seats in my opinion. But they improved the leg room in the prius 3 and yaris 3, so I except the same in the Corolla mk11.. And when I read that the steering was finally electro-hydrolic in the 2009 version, I was expecting a yaris feel, but it's not even close, it's the same crap as before. Otherwise, it's still a great car for it's price (12 500$ before taxes on 2011 base models in Canada), no fancy equipement or styling, but I couldn't care less. I tried one the same day I tried the yaris 2012 actually, and the steering was really a deal breaker, it's too bad.

For me, city car = yaris, more travels/highway = corolla. However, since the new yaris has a much better driving position than before, the yaris is now able to go out of town too (even it it's still somewhat noisy).
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #69
CanIHazYarisHatch?
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
What's disapointing about the Corolla in my opinion, it's not that much that it's bland (they have always been), but that they never fixed some major issues. The front seats never had really enough leg room for tall people, and in addition the 09+ seats are less comfortable than the 03-08 seats in my opinion. But they improved the leg room in the prius 3 and yaris 3, so I except the same in the Corolla mk11.. And when I read that the steering was finally electro-hydrolic in the 2009 version, I was expecting a yaris feel, but it's not even close, it's the same crap as before. Otherwise, it's still a great car for it's price (12 500$ before taxes on 2011 base models in Canada), no fancy equipement or styling, but I couldn't care less. I tried one the same day I tried the yaris 2012 actually, and the steering was really a deal breaker, it's too bad.

For me, city car = yaris, more travels/highway = corolla. However, since the new yaris has a much better driving position than before, the yaris is now able to go out of town too (even it it's still somewhat noisy).
Lest you forget dear friend, the Corolla wasn't always so vanilla. In the 70's, it came as a sporty, RWD coupe with decent and affordable performance.

It wasn't 'till they made it wrong wheel drive (FWD) that the styling and sportiness were slowly leeched out of it like an appliance.

Oh, if only I could go back in time and buy some of these cars new...
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #70
broody
 
Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 60
I'm born in 1990, so I don't know cars from the 70's.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #71
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!
 
daf62757's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I just don't get buying a new car when i just bought one a few years ago. My yaris will be my econo box until i die. When I buy another car it will be a sports car, not a replacement econo box. If I ever total my yaris, I would replace it with a used yaris of the same vintage.
Brilliant!
__________________
Big Dave
Indianapolis, IN

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #72
jpmck03
 
jpmck03's Avatar
 
Drives: 2025 GR86
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 892
Finally saw one in the wild... 3-door L in Classic Silver Metallic.

Initially looking at pics online, I thought that it was good looking and the new style was growing on me slowly.

Now that I've seen it in real life, wow, not that good looking. Even my wife said that it didn't look right and she's not really into cars at all.
__________________
my {(retired) ride} - {mi ssk: review, diy} - {mi lw cp: review, diy} - {foglight install} - {painted emblem: experiment, diy}


jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 vs 2012 beebosaur New YARIS Purchase Forum 11 08-27-2011 08:37 AM
US 2012 Scion iQ - First Drive - starting @ $16K (ouch)- 36/37 MPG (meh) Kal-El Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions 16 07-23-2011 11:41 PM
2012 Mazda 3 revised - now 40 MPG highway (from 33!) Kal-El Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions 11 04-25-2011 11:17 PM
2012 VW Beetle Kal-El Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions 11 04-21-2011 02:27 AM
First Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Kal-El Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions 18 02-25-2011 05:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.