Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
yojabbajabba
 
Drives: 2008 YRS 5Dr LB (1.5L)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 38
Back again Iggy!

I have received my ASWC, and the harnesses necessary for my new head unit (which I'm picking up on Wednesday - Alpine CDE 133 BT). This is a good things, as it means I can now proceed to doing all preparation wring :D

So, here are my troubleshooting questions.

Connecting the ASWC harness to D74:
Quote:
"5. Connect Pin 6: SWG (ground) on Connector D74 to ground"

Does that mean I have to cut off Pin 6 and re-wire it to the Ground used in "1."?

Connecting the ASWC harness to D74 (general)
- When "tapping" wires, does this literally mean joining the wires from the ASWC in-line with the wires on D74 - i.e. stripping off a part of the insulation on the respective wires, and then soldering the ASWC wires in-line? I'd like to avoid cutting off the OEM harness connector.

That's about it for now,

Thank you for your help!
Aaron
yojabbajabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Iggy888
 
Iggy888's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Etobicoke, ON Canada
Posts: 137
Hello Aaron. It is good to hear from you again. I am glad you are making some headway getting your steering wheel switches ready for your new head unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojabbajabba View Post
Does that mean I have to cut off Pin 6 and re-wire it to the Ground used in "1."?
Yes, the wire from Pin 6 needs to be grounded. I wired mine to connect to the ground used in step 1 and had no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojabbajabba View Post
When "tapping" wires, does this literally mean joining the wires from the ASWC in-line with the wires on D74 - i.e. stripping off a part of the insulation on the respective wires, and then soldering the ASWC wires in-line? I'd like to avoid cutting off the OEM harness connector.
Yes, cutting into the wires and soldering them together is the most secure way to join the wires. It ensures the best mechanical connection and best electrical connection.
Soldering the wires together is what the instructions recommend.

However, having said that I chose not to cut up my wiring harness. Instead, I used wire tap splice connectors since they could be easily removed later without killing the harness.
One big caveat with using tap connectors is to make sure to get the right size (I used 22-18Awg connectors).

Background: I had used tap connectors to install another component in an earlier project and had trouble getting it working. Looking closely at my new connections, they seemed to be held securely in place by the tap connectors. What I did not realize at the time was that though the wires appeared to be joined together with the tap connector, they had not made a good electrical connection.

It was only after I removed the tap connector and inspected the two wires closely that I realized the tap connector had failed to pierce the outer casing of one of my wires and contact the core wire for a good electrical signal.

Ever since that frustrating experience, whenever I use tap connectors I make sure to get the right size so that when clipped together it makes good electrical contact.
To be sure, I pull out my digital multimeter, set it for continuity mode, connect the leads to the ends of the newly tapped wires and listen for the tone which indicates a good electrical connection.

Below is a picture of what these tap connectors look like:
65-1280.jpg

I hope this helps!
Iggy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SoCal Nardi Steering Wheel 330mm DuckinOut Items for Sale by private party 5 05-23-2009 10:25 AM
OEM foglight switch and leather wrap steering wheel 808yarisLB Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) 8 03-11-2009 12:05 AM
steering wheel outta control when im coming to a stop dinamix Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 6 01-18-2009 10:16 AM
audio volume control on steering wheel hans_fh In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 18 01-04-2009 09:07 PM
forged rims Vs. alloys red-jdm Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 14 07-23-2007 08:30 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.