Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler
 
Vervepipes's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 176
My dealer actually sets the oil change intervals at 8000Km's, I dont know if it's Toyota nation wide though
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
earljail
 
earljail's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vervepipes View Post
My dealer actually sets the oil change intervals at 8000Km's, I dont know if it's Toyota nation wide though
I'm pretty sure that's for all of Canada. I'd guess that the U.S. interval is 5000 miles.

For the OP, I switched to Mobil 1 at the first scheduled oil change, and use OEM filters. I bring my own oil to the dealer, and they use my oil and their filter. As soon as warrantee is done, I'll buy a box of Toyota OEM filters and do it all myself.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
hystria
 
hystria's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal-Canada
Posts: 262
Probably Motul - but is hard to find here in Canada
Otherwise Canadian Tire sells Red Line, another good choice
I personally don't trust that much Amsoil. They publicize a lot on internet, "best synthetic oil" on Google returns dozens of sites all on Amsoil . Any of those sites are that kind of stuff saying Amsoil is the best... ok...

Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Castrol Syntec are only intended to give better start-up on cold days, not for extended oil change intervals
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Pavel Olavich
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Orange County, Calif
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
Probably Motul - but is hard to find here in Canada
Otherwise Canadian Tire sells Red Line, another good choice
I personally don't trust that much Amsoil. They publicize a lot on internet, "best synthetic oil" on Google returns dozens of sites all on Amsoil . Any of those sites are that kind of stuff saying Amsoil is the best... ok...

Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Castrol Syntec are only intended to give better start-up on cold days, not for extended oil change intervals
You're wrong...it says right on the label "15,000 Miles".
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
hystria
 
hystria's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal-Canada
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
You're wrong...it says right on the label "15,000 Miles".
I know I'm wrong that's what I'm using right now, the Mobil 1 Extended Performance + K&N filter, it has 2000 miles and the oil got quite dark, now tell me If a real synthetic would do so, anyway, it's the last time I'm using a pseudo synthetic. if one needs to spend more money at least buy real synthetics, i.e. Motul, Red Line or Amsoil
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
spkrman
Banned
 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 2
Posts: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
I know I'm wrong that's what I'm using right now, the Mobil 1 Extended Performance + K&N filter, it has 2000 miles and the oil got quite dark, now tell me If a real synthetic would do so, anyway, it's the last time I'm using a pseudo synthetic. if one needs to spend more money at least buy real synthetics, i.e. Motul, Red Line or Amsoil
very many tests wouldn't agree :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck
 
Black Yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
I know I'm wrong that's what I'm using right now, the Mobil 1 Extended Performance + K&N filter, it has 2000 miles and the oil got quite dark, now tell me If a real synthetic would do so, anyway, it's the last time I'm using a pseudo synthetic. if one needs to spend more money at least buy real synthetics, i.e. Motul, Red Line or Amsoil
well I change my oil every 5000 miles I have used mobile one 5-30 full synth and amsoil 5-20 full synth and now currently running 0-20 mobile one full syth, and after every oil change oil has still look a good golden color, I have always used Champ brand filters except this last time I gave fram a try
Black Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:26 AM   #8
Pavel Olavich
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Orange County, Calif
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
well I change my oil every 5000 miles I have used mobile one 5-30 full synth and amsoil 5-20 full synth and now currently running 0-20 mobile one full syth, and after every oil change oil has still look a good golden color, I have always used Champ brand filters except this last time I gave fram a try
Going against the Toyota manual means your 0-20 oil could screw up your engine...why are you doing this?????

And chaning the Synthetic oil every 5,000 miles seems very foolish, and wasteful of your $$, and misses the entire point of using synthetic.

Don't buy this dillusion of thinking that just because the oil color changes, that it needs to be replace...this is based on dillusion void of facts, friend.

Save your $$....do it every 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and use the correct viscosity as dictated by the owners manual.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
hystria
 
hystria's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal-Canada
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
well I change my oil every 5000 miles I have used mobile one 5-30 full synth and amsoil 5-20 full synth and now currently running 0-20 mobile one full syth, and after every oil change oil has still look a good golden color, I have always used Champ brand filters except this last time I gave fram a try
that's interesting to know, do you run on 89 or higher gasoline ?
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:22 AM   #10
Pavel Olavich
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Orange County, Calif
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
I know I'm wrong that's what I'm using right now, the Mobil 1 Extended Performance + K&N filter, it has 2000 miles and the oil got quite dark, now tell me If a real synthetic would do so, anyway, it's the last time I'm using a pseudo synthetic. if one needs to spend more money at least buy real synthetics, i.e. Motul, Red Line or Amsoil
So it got dark....now you're a chemist

So what...it got dark...this does not mean it is not working as expected.

Relax and stay with it through 10,000 miles....you'll be ok and so will your engine.

Why do you call it "pseudo"? It's the real deal, and like mineral oil, it too will change color with use...this is okay!!
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:53 PM   #11
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch
 
BailOut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Reno, Nevada, USA
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
...it says right on the label "15,000 Miles".
It sure does, and K&N says their oil filter can go with that, so that's exactly what I'm doing for both our vehicles.

I plan to change the oil right around the time we re-register the cars annually.
__________________
- Brian

Share the Road


I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best synthetic oil and m/t oil?? doodoo DIY / Maintenance / Service 122 04-03-2017 08:43 PM
Help with oil change specs autophile DIY / Maintenance / Service 31 04-25-2011 09:22 PM
metal particles in oil 007 hatch DIY / Maintenance / Service 9 06-22-2007 02:56 AM
My first oil change RogueYaris DIY / Maintenance / Service 41 02-07-2007 07:41 AM
Motor oil debate - interesting info but a long read. mikeukrainetz General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 6 12-10-2006 08:16 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.