Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
xavierq

Drives: Yaris
Aux in ground loop noise

Any device I connect to this that is also powered through the cigarette lighter (XM Radio, iPod, etc) gets horrible ground loop noise to the point I can't use the device.

Does anyone have a good solution to this? A filter is going to ruin my sound response and cutting the ground is just insanely unsafe. Maybe someone's found a way to easily reroute the ground somehow?
xavierq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
ground loop isolator?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
xavierq

Yes, but I've been told that reduces your high frequency response as well. I was hoping there was a solution that didn't degrade the quality of the signal in the process.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
I've heard of this issue for almost every stereo I've come across with an AUX IN jack, in other cars as well. Some cars got smart and included a USB port instead of an AUX IN to get around this.

I just play Mp3 discs and go about my bidness.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
1 work around (should work) and 1 fix (which if done correctly should fix the problem).

Work around - if you plug something into the aux (i.e. Ipod) don't have it charging, or running off the cars power (i.e. cig lighter). That's how the voltage differential is created. If the deck & the Device run off different power sources, there won't be a voltage differential.

Fix - Upgrade the power & ground cables to the deck.. Stock is 16 or 18awg... Upgrade them to 12awg. This will reduce the amount of resistence in the wire, and thus reduce voltage loss.
Then upgrade the power & ground wires to the cig lighter (or however you are powering the device). Not sure what awg cable the cig lighter uses..,, but going with a thicker cable will reduce the amount of resistance/voltage loss.

The goal is to get the voltage at the deck to be exactly the same as the voltage at the cigarette lighter. The closer you get the voltage differences, the less you will hear any wierd noise due to a voltage differential.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD should do the trick...
Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
xavierq

@ruffstuff a USB port only helps if you're playing from a pen drive. (though I have considered connecting a usb card reader to one). Honestly, the best solution there (at least for me) would be a stereo with bluetooth support.

MP3 CD's are what I do for music on disc, but I also want to use the port for XM (instead of the FM transceiver) to increase sound quality.

And I am NOT fixing the problem buy installing a $700 deck. Even if it is double din so it'd fit right in the Yaris dash, and has bluetooth... I said no! Stop convincing me!

@talnlnky
For the XM unit I used the FM transceiver instead of the aux in. For the other unit I do what you said and just don't charge it while playing. That's ok if I'm just playing MP3s, but if I'm streaming Pandora it drains my battery incredibly fast. I'd really like it to be powered.

I suppose rewiring both systems completely would lower the voltage differential between the points. I wonder how much trouble that is, though.

Maybe replacing the deck really is the answer.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierq View Post
@ruffstuff a USB port only helps if you're playing from a pen drive. (though I have considered connecting a usb card reader to one). Honestly, the best solution there (at least for me) would be a stereo with bluetooth support.

MP3 CD's are what I do for music on disc, but I also want to use the port for XM (instead of the FM transceiver) to increase sound quality.

And I am NOT fixing the problem buy installing a $700 deck. Even if it is double din so it'd fit right in the Yaris dash, and has bluetooth... I said no! Stop convincing me!

@talnlnky
For the XM unit I used the FM transceiver instead of the aux in. For the other unit I do what you said and just don't charge it while playing. That's ok if I'm just playing MP3s, but if I'm streaming Pandora it drains my battery incredibly fast. I'd really like it to be powered.

I suppose rewiring both systems completely would lower the voltage differential between the points. I wonder how much trouble that is, though.

Maybe replacing the deck really is the answer.

1. Partially correct. If you have a USB Mp3 player then it will play and charge through the USB port on an equipped stereo.

2. AVH-P4100DVD = $430 shipped the Bluetooth module costs extra.

3. Rewiring your stereo? Not hard, just need to wire in a new 12v constant line & ground line. Same thing for your lighter.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i bought the alpine ida 100 (i think it was) does the ipod control with album art. bought it locally for 200

i had a china made ebay touchscreen that had HORRIBLE line noise . i sold it to get this unit
Old 12-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
So I just bought in 2010 Yaris in Thailand with an AUX in, and I'm happy to report that I have zero ground loop noise with it plugged into the cigarette plug charger and headphone output to the line in plug!!!!

I'm extremely satisfied!
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
jdinrc

Drives: 2009 Yaris Blazing Blue 3dr
I use a Boostaroo headphone amp, running off its own battery. This solves the ground loop issue and boosts the signal up to where I better equality between radio and aux volume.
jdinrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:11 AM   #12
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
I think theres a service bullitin for this.

Last edited by YarisSedan; 12-27-2009 at 01:33 AM.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Wave
Car Hypochondriac

Drives: '07 Yaris Hatchback
I also have this problem with my 2006 Yaris Liftback. I've had it since the car was new, and just max the volume on my phone or iPod to cover up the mains hum. I read on another site that sometimes just running a better ground cable for both the cigarette lighter and the head unit is a good option, although I don't know how feasible this is.
Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
AmandaCraig
I've made a post!

Drives: Camry
Here's a link to an article on this issue and a TSB from Toyota:

bwave.ca/2011/06/10/toyotas-whining-noise-from-the-aux-port
AmandaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
TSB from toyota replaces AUX port with new one.......

3 years/ 36,000 miles only though
ROCKLANDTOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote