Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Which is the best of these models based on performance, MPG, and overall?
Vitz 3 15.79%
Yaris 14 73.68%
Aygo 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
ramon82

Drives: Yaris
Yaris Vs Aygo Vs Vitz

Hi all!

As title suggests I would like to know which of these models is the best in terms of performance, reliability, and fuel consumption.

Thanks all for your help!
ramon82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Vitz and Yaris are the same car. The Aygo is a smaller car, with better fuel efficiency
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
^lol.....this thread isnt gonna go well.....

i vote Yaris, its WAYWAY better in all aspects then aygo and definatly better then vitz

oh and did i mention neither of the 2 cars come to North America?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
When I was buying my current car in 2007, I also considered the Aygo. It has sufficient interior space and the ride is comfortable enough. However, the boot of the Aygo is not really fit to carry anythig more than a briefcase. So even though the car can seat four in relative comfort, there is no way you could fit four backpacks in the boot. Also, the fit and finish are not quite on par with the Yaris. Places where they've skimped do show, including some interesting solutions. For example, the front seats are identical so you get adjustment levers on both sides of the seat and the rear "boot" is in fact all-glass. The glovebox does not have a lid on it and the rear windows on the 5-door model are "pop-out" type. The one thing the Aygo did have going for it was the availability of the "aux in" jack on all models.

As an ides, it does seem like a cool back-to-basics kind of car, but Toyota don't market it as such and there are no gadgets to lure in younger buyers.

As the price difference with the Yaris was not that notable, I opted for the Yaris, which does seem like a car of higher class. But go for a test-drive and find out for yourself.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
The Aygo is a shared platform with Peugeot and Renault, built for the European market. It shares more in common with the French cars than it does with Toyotas.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I'll buy anything that gets better mileage with Toyota quality.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
djct_watt

Just because it has a Toyota badge doesn't mean it's good. They sold the POS Chevy Cavalier in Japan rebadged as a Toyota.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
djct_watt

Because the JDM (yes there are JDM J-body cars) Toyota Cavalier SCREAMS quality:

I'll pass on the Renault/Peugeot Franken-Aygo, even if it were available in my market.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
djct_watt

Oops excuse me, I meant Peugeout/Citroen, not Renault for the Aygo. I forgot Renault has nothing to do with the Aygo, as they are the ones who bailed out Nissan as are responsible for the return to cool products for Nissan. I might be tempted to buy the Aygo if Renault had something to do with it. But yeah. . . partnered with Poogo and Sh!troen, I say no to the Aygo. The badge on the front is meaningless.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
p123456789

Drives: 07 lb jeep tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
Because the JDM (yes there are JDM J-body cars) Toyota Cavalier SCREAMS quality:

I'll pass on the Renault/Peugeot Franken-Aygo, even if it were available in my market.
wow I though toyota was better than that, they should know you can only rebadge a toyota as a gm the other way around makes no sense.
p123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
djct_watt

No car company is above that. . . it happens to every brand. Honda's badged as Saturn, Isuzu badged as Honda, Daewoo badged as Chevy, Kia badged as Ford, Mercedes badged as Dodge, Mazdas dressed up in Volvos, Audi engineering dressed up as Lamborghini and Ford's as Jaguars. . . it goes on and on. Every company is guilty to some degree. Heck, even a brand like Ferrari shares a lot with Maserati!

The Aygo, save for the petrol Daihatsu (Toyota owned) Kei car 1000cc motor, doesn't share much with most other Toyotas. And the available diesel motor is actually a Ford unit. I dare you to take it apart and see for yourself. If you really want an Aygo, I'd shop for a Sh!tron C1 and a Poogo 107 too and go for the best priced one. They all use the same engines and are virtually identical, save for a couple of body panels/bumpers.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
LOL! That's hilarious - "A new form of luxury....Toyota Cavalier" - those 2 words together don't even sound right. I got rid of a POS Cavalier to buy my Yaris.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Toyota rebadged the Cavalier?! Learned something new today. That's the stupidest thing Toyota's ever done. That disgraces the badge. Why would Toyota, who makes more worldwide models than any other company, need to offer such trash that filled the same spot as the Corolla? Doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
LOL! That's hilarious - "A new form of luxury....Toyota Cavalier" - those 2 words together don't even sound right. I got rid of a POS Cavalier to buy my Yaris.
I LOL'd too. "A new form of luxury"? It's new alright. Luxury now means ugly cloth surrounded by flimsy plastic.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
djct_watt

You guys are missing the point... The aygo is shared with Poogo and Sh1tron. It falls into a similar category. U can get it with a Ford engine! Ford!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #15
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:

(Horrid images omitted.)

Oh wow, that is so bad, and it still has that horrible 90s Chevy interior: chunky buttons, dated (even back then) looking stereo, annoying slush-box shifter with the button on top, crappy steering wheel, that fat headlight stalk on the steering column, that font everywhere with it's late 70s/early 80s "futuristic" look to it. Oh, what a horrible little thing.

Thanks for reminding me how much I hate the Chevy Cavalier.

I'm just glad that my wife got rid of her's before we were married.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #16
djct_watt

You mention ugly stereos. . . Check out the stereo that was used on the first generation Chevroyota Matrix:

For the most part, the Matrix is and was a 5 door Corolla, but they definitely dipped into the GM parts bin to save some money. Again, just because it has a Toyota badge doesn't ALWAYS means that it uses 100% Toyota engineering/parts. For years, I've refused to buy cars built out of NUMMI. Despite being decent, I still (personally) feel that there is a difference in build quality out of that joint venture plant. I'm so glad that partnership is dead.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
You mention ugly stereos. . . Check out the stereo that was used on the first generation Chevroyota Matrix:

(Images omitted.)

For the most part, the Matrix is and was a 5 door Corolla, but they definitely dipped into the GM parts bin to save some money. Again, just because it has a Toyota badge doesn't ALWAYS means that it uses 100% Toyota engineering/parts. For years, I've refused to buy cars built out of NUMMI. Despite being decent, I still (personally) feel that there is a difference in build quality out of that joint venture plant. I'm so glad that partnership is dead.
Wow, that looks bad as well. I don't know what it is, but I think there is something that subconsciously says, "cheap garbage" whenever I saw Chevy interiors when I was growing up. It's weird, because I've been in older Fords, Dodges, newer Hyundais, Hondas, etc. None of them bothered me, but those Chevrolets, maybe it's just me but they look so bad...

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
chasehouse
stu in wigan

Drives: Yaris 3 cylinder 2007
speaking of stereos - do you guys remember the 8 Track machines on a continuous loop?

I picked up on this thread because I was wondering if that engine in the Aygo is the same 3 cylinder fitted in the smallest of the Yaris models. When I bought the Yaris a few weeks ago, I thought someone had nicked one of the spark plugs after peeping under the enormous airfilter airbox.

Mine is unbelievably frugal on petrol and I've only filled it up once since I got it. I reckion it must be the same engine as the Aygo and the Citroen Peugeot models. It's made in Poland under licence from Toyota. And curiously enough, Poland is as far as I've read, the only European country not to have been hit by the recession. They must be doing something right.
best regards,
stu
chasehouse is offline   Reply With Quote