Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #19
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
... Toyota lost countless sales in many cases just because of center mounted gauges.

Anyone who enjoys reading reviews, and other/competing car forums knows that one of the most complained about things with the Yaris has been the gauges. I've never read a professional review that didn't complain about them. ...
I think the worst part about these professional reviews was this:

The Mini Cooper has a center mounted speedo, and there are a lot of reviews gushing about how sporty and unique it is... meanwhile Toyota does the same thing and it's a distracting disaster!

/end rant.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:07 AM   #20
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
After 5 years of driving my Yaris, I have to take some time to adjust whenever I drive an other car with an analogue (and classically placed) speedo. The pure effort of having to figure out what I'm doing instead of simply glancing at a number is enough to take some joy out of the driving experience.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #21
Bernie P.

Drives: old truck
I really don't care one way or the other however I think Toyota made the right decision on this.Sales dropped quite a bit so bear in mind if that trend continues we can say goodby to the Yaris altogether regardless of configuration.
Bernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #22
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Drives: Yaris
I say center gauges should be in all cars and trucks.
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #23
Yar15

Drives: none
I liked more the center cluster.
Wondering why they left cup holder away from the side ventilator?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris older.JPG (40.2 KB, 118 views)
Old 09-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #24
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
The Mini Cooper has a center mounted speedo, and there are a lot of reviews gushing about how sporty and unique it is... meanwhile Toyota does the same thing and it's a distracting disaster!

/end rant.
It's not the position of the gauges that the Mini grabs people's attention. Look at the overall design styling and history of the brand.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #25
theredone

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Riding a motorcycle you are taught NEVER to look at the speedo/tach. The ONLY place to look is the road ahead because things can happen very fast. Road racing motorcycles do not have them.

So I was glad to see the center gauges on the ECHO. Look at the road! Also, at night its far less distracting not to have a lighted display in front of you.

totally agree. I once got in an accident because i was looking down to see how fast i was going, believe it or not. I've learned since to gauge my speed based on my car's pedal resistance and feel. that's the way it should be!
theredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #26
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
It's not the position of the gauges that the Mini grabs people's attention. Look at the overall design styling and history of the brand.
I think my main point is that the Yaris always managed to get bad reviews over the center gauge cluster, which I always thought was a moot point.

A lot of it stemmed from the annoyance of reading that it's soooo distracting and dangerous to look at it; and that you have to take your eyes off the road to see the speedo. Which I always hated because well, with a speedo behind the wheel you have to look down to see your speed. That and no one ever complains that side or rear-view mirrors are dangerous because you aren't looking at the road when you glance at them...

I could go on, but I'd slowly ramble on for far too long... :

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #27
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
ScanGauge II

I put my ScanGauge II display in the middle of my drivers glove box. It not only gives me my mph but also mpg, rpms, plus engine temp. I missed having a tach on my Yaris...so I permanently added the SG II.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #28
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
i just purchased my 2012 L model this past saturday. i am happy that the gauge cluster is where it is supposed to be. im sure with time if i had an 06-11 i would have gotten used to it, but in all reality the gauge cluster should be where it has been on every vehicle for god knows how long.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #29
upgradedyaris

Drives: Yaris & Supra
LMAO at people saying they need to look at the speed; really? You should know your car well enough to judge. Do you need your pedals painted red and Green to determine which is stop and go while you look there too? And where it's supposed to be is only because it was in front of people first. Funny thing huh.. Fact is the Mini (1967 Era) had a center cluster long ago. Many have done it before the Echo and Yaris ;)
upgradedyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPALK719 View Post
i just purchased my 2012 L model this past saturday. i am happy that the gauge cluster is where it is supposed to be. im sure with time if i had an 06-11 i would have gotten used to it, but in all reality the gauge cluster should be where it has been on every vehicle for god knows how long.
nice opinion, but the "traditional" location is actually a terriblr utilization of space. Even on the sedan that doesn't have the driver's side glovebox there are plenty of things that can be placed in that space instead.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #31
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
nice opinion, but the "traditional" location is actually a terriblr utilization of space. Even on the sedan that doesn't have the driver's side glovebox there are plenty of things that can be placed in that space instead.
understandable but if i had wanted alot of space, i would have picked up either a mid size SUV or SUV. myself i see having a Regular sized gauge cluster in the center that would be a distraction. but hey if you like it more power to ya, im not knocking you.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #32
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPALK719 View Post
understandable but if i had wanted alot of space, i would have picked up either a mid size SUV or SUV. myself i see having a Regular sized gauge cluster in the center that would be a distraction. but hey if you like it more power to ya, im not knocking you.
Oh I know you aren't knocking it, I am just pointing out something that was innovative and such however the Edsel was primary proof that the masses just aren't ready to be anything but lemmings or zebras...no offense. About the only thing that I don't like about the center mount cluster is that everyone becomes a "driver" because they all have their eyeballs on the damned thing. At least in my experience. I might not be as jaded about the move back to the driver's position if I didn't think that the center stack looks absolutely homely now IMHO. It is like they decided to give the masses what they wanted by moving the cluster and then went right into the bland aesthetics yet again that keep the young at heart away from Toyota now. So they do what they think is a more hip and aggressive look on the exterior and then go all cookie cutter and elderly on the inside...wtf? I mean their slogan is now, "Toyota moving forward"....pppfffttt.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 AM   #33
SineWave

Drives: Gen3 Yaris ZR Manual
Always hated the centre dash in the Echo/Yaris, that's why I fell in love with the 3rd gen model.
SineWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #34
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

I am however really really bummed that the speedo in the latest gen goes higher than the 130 and that there is no way to get their with the 07-11 without actually installing a separate speedo.