Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
It was a more accurate comparison to dyno both on the same day. We did 3 runs of each and took the best run from each manifold. Both horsepowers track really close with a slight tooter edge at about 5,500. The stock manifold torque curve is a lot smoother and more consistent than the tooter at wide open throttle, although in regular partial throttle driving the difference is too small to detect.

We discovered that the 2012 Yaris gives off a lot of radio frequency interference that was interfering with the dyno hardware, and found that grounding the car with battery jumper cables was the solution.

So if any of you have 2012's... ground them when you run them on a dyno.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Grounding kit might be a good mod on the 2012.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Internal component to chassis grounding wasn't the problem, it was grounding the whole car that resolved the issue.

We connected battery jumper cables to the exhaust pipe spring bolts where the axle back connects, and then clamped them onto steel bolts that were embedded in the concrete floor... and everything worked just fine.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
jetblast
 
Drives: Gen 1 XB
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 72
Just can't get enough of that intake pic. I have rods and pistons to get....must stay focused.
The interference is your car's way of broadcasting to others to get the hell outta the way, one bad Yaris comin' through!!!!
__________________
Why strive for a JDM BB, when you can promote the Scion badge?
jetblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast View Post
Just can't get enough of that intake pic.
Neither can I...
You know, it's really strange that the whole inspiration for this project began with aesthetic appeal. The unique flowing form of the manifold was so beautiful like a formula one racing exhaust I wanted to put it on my Yaris.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Finally there's one completely finished tooter intake manifold offered for sale. It includes:

1. One clean, welded, bead blasted, Corolla 1.8 intake manifold modified to fit a 1.5 Yaris.
2. One OEM O ring intake manifold gasket
3. One matching throttle body adaptor that fits botha 1NZ FE 48mm or 1ZZ 51mm throttle body
4. One OEM flat throttle body adaptor gasket
5. Three throttle body adaptor allen head bolts


$450 includes free shipping













Also offered for sale is a tooter do it yourself build your own intake manifold kit where you supply the junkyard Corolla manifold. It consists of:

1. one tooter intake manifold adaptor flange
2. one throttle body adaptor
3. three allen head throttle body adaptor bolts
4. one OEM flat throttle body adaptor gasket

$265 includes free shipping



Contact info:

PM tooter here.

Or email:
greggabi@verizon.net

Or call:
310-455-3340
Ask for Greg

It's also up for sale on Ebay.

Last edited by tooter; 12-01-2012 at 12:44 AM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
That thread on intakes and gas mileage got me to thinking if the stock air box would be able to fit a tooter intake manifold, so I had a go at it...













To make the stock air box fit, I simply cut the flexible rubber coupling back to the first bump, screw clamped it onto the throttle body and installed the air box lid. The rubber coupling is fully compressed while putting on the lid, but it relaxes some when it's in position to engage the two metal clips. The bumped area that now fits over the point of attachment on the air box lid is smaller than the part that was cut off and fits on really tight. A little Armorall really helped it to slide on.

The rubber coupling already has an offset molded into it at the throttle body so I rotated it slightly to point more towards the air box. It fits fine with no stretching or kinking.

I'm going to experiment driving it around for a few fillups under cold weather conditions and check the gas mileage just to see if there is any difference compared to the SRI.

So now the manifold not only uses the stock intake manifold gasket, all of the stock attaching hardware, and all of the stock throttle body mounting hardware, it also works with the stock air box making it a true "bolt on" accessory that almost looks like it came that way from the factory.

Last edited by tooter; 12-26-2012 at 08:38 PM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
This dyno was with the 1ZZ TB, yes?
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
This dyno was with the 1ZZ TB, yes?
No. These runs were done with just the bone stock 1NZ throttlebody and ECU, no engine tuning, and regular 87 octane gas. I did refine the intake flow eliminating the 90 degree bend by shortening the effective length of the air filter.

Doing all the runs at the same time yielded an accurate apples to apples comparison of the two manifolds. Absolutely nothing was done either to dinimish the performance of the stock manifold or to enhance the tooter. The two compared runs were the best ones from each group of three. Exactly the same intake was used on both sets of runs so that the only difference was the manifolds themselves. while at wide open throttle, the tooter gives up a little bit of torque to gain a little bit of horsepower, under regular driving conditions the difference is too slight to notice. I believe that it would really shine in a forced induction setup.

Overall, I'm pleased with the results.
After a couple of thousand miles of everyday driving with the tooter, it performs very well and continues to yield 2 mpg better mileage under real world everyday driving conditions over the stock manifold. After the dyno runs, I topped off the tank and drove around running errands for the rest of the day with the stock manifold, and watched the computer mileage average drop consistent with the mileage average I was getting before installing the tooter. I had no control over this, as it was just plain dumb luck. The two manifold designs are so completely different from each other, you never know what's going to happen.

This all was just a wild crapshoot by a total amateur.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
 
CrankyOldMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,332
When can I start having your babies?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
When can I start having your babies?
Sorry, Cranky... I'm already a Grandpa.

My goal was to make a bolt on manifold that could easily be installed with a minimum of time and effort while utilizing all of the existing hardware and peripheries... and I did it.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
Autocross72
 
Drives: 2009 3rd Polar white
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 31
Are you going to Dyno it with the 1ZZ throttle body? That is the throttle body that this intake was designed for, so I would bet you would see some gains in hp and torque. If you do see gains, I would bet that you could sell a lot more of those manifolds.
Autocross72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #13
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocross72 View Post
Are you going to Dyno it with the 1ZZ throttle body? That is the throttle body that this intake was designed for, so I would bet you would see some gains in hp and torque. If you do see gains, I would bet that you could sell a lot more of those manifolds.
I don't think I'll be dynoing it with a 1ZZ as I'm more of an economy driver than a performance one. The manifold is not only designed for the 1ZZ throttle body, it was also designed for a 1.8 engine so I don't think it would make that much difference in an normally aspirated application. However, a forced induction situation would be a completely different story. Even at the tooter's best +4hp at 5,600rpm that isn't nearly enough to be detected in actual driving. And remember that's at wide open throttle. Most driving is at partial throttle, where the difference between the tooter and stock manifold is too slight to feel. We've been running it on our daily driver Yaris for over 2,000 miles now and it works just fine. And the stock air box really quiets down the intake.

Last edited by tooter; 12-29-2012 at 12:50 AM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Speaking of dyno runs, here's a video of the tooter...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/DdQZcHXtnTI
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #15
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I don't think I'll be dynoing it with a 1ZZ as I'm more of an economy driver than a performance one. The manifold is not only designed for the 1ZZ throttle body, it was also designed for a 1.8 engine so I don't think it would make that much difference in an normally aspirated application. However, a forced induction situation would be a completely different story. Even at the tooter's best +4hp at 5,600rpm that isn't nearly enough to be detected in actual driving. And remember that's at wide open throttle. Most driving is at partial throttle, where the difference between the tooter and stock manifold is too slight to feel. We've been running it on our daily driver Yaris for over 2,000 miles now and it works just fine. And the stock air box really quiets down the intake.
You're killing me here, man. You've come so far that not sourcing a 1ZZ TB and dynoing it seems weird to me, like you're aborting the project early. You even had the TB adapter made to match the 1ZZ throttle body, yet you aren't going to at least try and get one?
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post
You're killing me here, man. You've come so far that not sourcing a 1ZZ TB and dynoing it seems weird to me, like you're aborting the project early. You even had the TB adapter made to match the 1ZZ throttle body, yet you aren't going to at least try and get one?
Ok, I'll get one and dyno it even though that wasn't the goal.

Making the tooter fit both throttle bodies without any extra parts was an afterthought so that I wouldn't have to stock 2 adaptors. In fact it actually fits three, the stock 51mm three bolt cable controlled throttle body.

I still think that the results will be similar as these back to back runs (stock:red tooter:blue) done on the same day...



the stock engine is only capable of taking in so much air/fuel.

Last edited by tooter; 12-31-2012 at 01:47 PM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Ok, I'll get one and dyno it even though that wasn't the goal.

Making the tooter fit both throttle bodies without any extra parts was an afterthought so that I wouldn't have to stock 2 adaptors. In fact it actually fits three, the stock 51mm three bolt cable controlled throttle body.

I still think that the results will be similar as these back to back runs (stock:red tooter:blue) done on the same day...
Back when I worked on Hondas, when we would swap intake manifolds, whenever possible we would include whatever the largest stock throttle body that would fit the manifold. I think we have a similar case here, while not a huge bottle-neck, it's a bottle neck to the system, and you did make the adapter to fit the larger throttle body.

I'm sorry if I came off harsh at all in my last post, I've enjoyed this thread and your tinkering that has led you to where you are. It's a good looking manifold, and it was designed for a larger throttle body than that which you are using, and it's an easy swap to the larger 1ZZ. You have to at least try :) I think there are many others who are following the thread that are also very interested. I think with the change will come more tinkering, and more content too. I appreciate the informative posts.
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post
You're killing me here, man. You've come so far that not sourcing a 1ZZ TB and dynoing it seems weird to me, like you're aborting the project early. You even had the TB adapter made to match the 1ZZ throttle body, yet you aren't going to at least try and get one?
THANK YOU!
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
homemade intake manifold ttr125fan09 Performance Modifications 1 02-17-2012 01:09 AM
Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous blacksandiegovitz Performance Modifications 9 04-21-2010 07:05 PM
Turbo Manifold thread Sabretooth Forced Induction Forum 78 05-22-2009 06:52 AM
turbo manifold build... joey1320 Forced Induction Forum 4 06-30-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.