Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
JustDidIt
 
JustDidIt's Avatar
 
Drives: '08G2T Prius
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post
You're killing me here, man. You've come so far that not sourcing a 1ZZ TB and dynoing it seems weird to me, like you're aborting the project early. You even had the TB adapter made to match the 1ZZ throttle body, yet you aren't going to at least try and get one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
THANK YOU!
Awesome read!
JustDidIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
THANK YOU!
No dude, THANK YOU!!! I am so happy you got it running good finally, and that there seems to be a noticeable difference. Looking at the two throttle bodies side by side, you would think there would have to be. The stock TB is so small!

Anyways, this has been a great thread to follow, and I know I can speak for the entire community when I say thanks for posting so often and clearly about the issues and wins you have been having. These threads help us all out. Again, congrats, and I can't wait to see what this sucker does on the dyno. Please post a vid with audio! I bet she screams!

4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
Awe the video ends just before the climax!
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Awe the video ends just before the climax!
The engine hit the rev limiter really hard so the video ends right at the first stutter.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
not sourcing a 1ZZ TB and dynoing it seems weird to me, like you're aborting the project early.
The tooter looks great but doesn't make power. Testing it with another TB is up to tooter; I respect his call either way -- he has to pay for the dyno.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
it looks like a real pain in the ass to get working half way decently with all the floating idles, wildly racing rpms, stripped screws, and repeated check engine lights.
It's not that hard, if you have the parts you need on hand to swap the servos. The two I've seen done in person worked perfectly.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Hey Garm,

What's a servo, and how do you swap it? Is that what was being referred to as a "chip"?

There were so many different proceedures with wildly varying and inconsistent results it was truly mind bending just trying to make it through that long thread.

...and, by the way, is there anyone here who is actually running a normally aspirated 1ZZ throttle body that works properly? I'd love to hear from you how you did it.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ yeah, it's that black plastic end piece that is attached with rivets. You drill them out, and swap them so your 1NZ one is on the 1ZZ throttle body. You'll need some small screws or bolts with nuts to install.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Thanks, Garm.
I thought that might be what it was, but wasn't totally sure. I've just been reading up more about the same 1ZZ to 1NZ throttle body swap on a Scion forum so as to be totally familiar with all the issues before I actually start on the project.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
1ZZ throttle body came in today...



...so it's off to the workshop to strip it and bead blast it to make it look like new.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
suckerface
#1 Lemming
 
suckerface's Avatar
 
Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 760
What part number on the TB?

Nevermind, just saw your post that it's a 030. That's good. Should be plug and play. The only issue I had with mine was some high idling at cold start, but calmed down quickly and didn't throw any CELs. If you got the 031, then you'd need to do a chip swap and adjust the idle screw.

Just remember to reset your ECU!
__________________
suckerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
What part number on the TB?

Nevermind, just saw your post that it's a 030. That's good. Should be plug and play. The only issue I had with mine was some high idling at cold start, but calmed down quickly and didn't throw any CELs. If you got the 031, then you'd need to do a chip swap and adjust the idle screw.

Just remember to reset your ECU!
Wow, thanks for the heads up!

I had already drilled out the rivets for the chip swap, although it turned out fine as I was able to clean out the area where the gears are. I'm searching out some little nuts and bolts to put the chip back on, and other than that, it's all ready to go...



I really like how the micro stainless steel beads don't abraid away the metal surfaces or alter their dimensions, but act like tiny ball peen hammers that pound the surfaces to clean and smooth them out.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Not wanting to leave anything to chance, I also chipped out the epoxy from the idle adjustment screw just in case I needed to tweak it...



The chip is bolted back on now, so next is step is installation...

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Already ran into a snag...

The throttle body bore diameter of the Corolla throttle body is 55mm and not 51 mm. I'm still going to run it, and flared out the adapter with a Dremel and reblasted it to accept the larger diameter...



So my question for anyone here who knows... are all of the Corolla throttle bodies 55mm and not 51mm?
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Already ran into a snag...

The throttle body bore diameter of the Corolla throttle body is 55mm and not 51 mm. I'm still going to run it, and flared out the adapter with a Dremel and reblasted it to accept the larger diameter...


So my question for anyone here who knows... are all of the Corolla throttle bodies 55mm and not 51mm?
On 1ZZ Corollas the butterfly is 55mm in diameter
__________________
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
It's on...



Now I need to make up an intake that will fit the larger bore.

Ediit: Just started it up... Jesus, the engine went nuts! The computer was all over the place wondering what to do. I just let it keep trying to figure out what the hell is going on hoping that it would learn the new idling parameters. It's still idling after about 10 minutes and is down to 900. And when you turn the lights on, it jumps up to 1,100. So it's going to need the idle screw turned down. Now I'm glad I chipped it out so that I don'n need to take off the throttle body.

Ran out of daylight, so I'm going to take it for a test run and call it a day.

Came back from the test run... plug and play my ass!

The 030 throttle body has every single one of the problems that have ever been described.

High idle
Hanging throttle position.
Erratic high rpms
Rough jerking back and forth between throttle and decel.

I was damn lucky just to make it back home in one piece. Almost hit a car in traffic. l let off the throttle expecting the car to slow down and it decides to do one of those sudden 3,000 rpm accelerations while wondering what to do.

Bottom line... runs liks shit.

Last edited by tooter; 01-07-2013 at 09:10 PM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
 
CrankyOldMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,332
Where did you get 51mm from? I'm looking at my flange template and the mating bore diameter is 56mm. I'm thinking that the butterfly itself is 51?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #18
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Where did you get 51mm from? I'm looking at my flange template and the mating bore diameter is 56mm. I'm thinking that the butterfly itself is 51?
Hey Cranky,

51mm is the bore of the Corolla intake manifold. My guess is that Toyota must have gone to a 55mm bore throttle body when they changed to the plastic manifolds.

The 55mm throttle body fits fine and there are no butterfly clearance issues because the perimeter of the bore is only 2mm smaller, but this is still an issue I need to resolve. There's plenty of space to flare the adaptor out to 55mm I already did a quickie on one with a Dremel.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
homemade intake manifold ttr125fan09 Performance Modifications 1 02-17-2012 01:09 AM
Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous blacksandiegovitz Performance Modifications 9 04-21-2010 07:05 PM
Turbo Manifold thread Sabretooth Forced Induction Forum 78 05-22-2009 06:52 AM
turbo manifold build... joey1320 Forced Induction Forum 4 06-30-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.