![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#1 |
|
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,332
|
I had contemplated that, but then I would have to figure out how to weld up a rounded-square body. My idea was to match the radius of the base with some tubing, cut it into quarters, and weld panels between them. Given my lack of welding skill but substantial access to machining equipment, the tube + flanges seemed to make the most sense. It would still require someone to weld the seams, but tube-in-a-hole is easier than plates-hanging-in-space.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#2 | |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
Quote:
A 6 inch diameter circular aluminium plate with a rounded square hole cut in the middle of it. I know a really competent welder who can weld anything. The secret to any project is finding good honest people who you can trust.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: '08G2T Prius Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 163
|
Hey Tooter, I need to come up 2 LA and meet this welder of yours. I have a project I would like to run by him. Whereabouts is he located?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 | |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
Quote:
![]() Ajax's 7933 Gloria Avenue Van Nuys, CA 91406 818-781-5667 Bill is the owner. Tell him tooter sent you. His place is easy to get to as it's just West of the 405 off the Roscoe Boulevard exit. West on Roscoe South on Woodley East on Strathern South on Gloria |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: '08G2T Prius Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 163
|
Awesome! Thank you!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2013 Yaris Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 914
|
I love this thread. I wish I was closer so that i could help :/
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
That would be lots of fun...
![]() Well, at least I can keep you posted every step of the way. I just ordered a part for the manifold plenum, and will post pics when it arrives. It's something which has absolutely no relation to engines, and I'm adapting it to an unintended purpose. ![]() As far as I can tell from searching the web for everything about intake manifold design I could find... no one has built the design I'm going to try. There may be a reason. Because it doesn't work! But I'm going to find that out for myself. I'm building one manifold designated for testing only. And the good part is that if the experimental designs don't show any gains on the dyno, I can always simply cut them off of the runners and try something else. Last edited by tooter; 03-10-2013 at 03:52 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 529
|
If you are going to try a really large diameter plenum...large diameter equals low velocity.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 | |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
Quote:
![]() ...and yet that design works great! I believe it is because of the unique configuration with all the runner entrances pointing directly at the bore of the throttle body...![]() That internal intake tube terminates only a couple of inches in front ot the runner's entrances. So there is very little plenum volume left over. When I get the part, I'll be able to measure exactly how much smaller if at all by filling both plenums with water. What will be radically different is the profile of the new plenum. I literally dreamed up this crazy idea...
Last edited by tooter; 03-10-2013 at 06:20 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
1NZ-6spd
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
|
Cool Tooter! Are you reworking the manifold with your own plenum and TB mount?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
The new plenum came today, and it has nothing to do with intake manifolds. It's a structural architectural ornament.
This is the basic layout of the experimental tooter...![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() I filled up both plenums with water to test the volume, and was totally suprised to discover that they both hold exactly 26 ounces! I'm always looking for omens and this is a really good one... ![]() The old plenum appears to be a lot larger because there is so much material inside it which by displacement decreases the volume. |
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ULTIMATEDrives: 07 Yaris Turbo Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
|
Phallic!
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific. |
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
To you, everything is phallic.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#15 |
|
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,332
|
Hmm, what about the 6" tube remnant?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#16 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
It's right here...
![]() ![]() I think I'll try it without this time since the two plenum volumes already match. I can always cut off the hemisphere and add a ring later. And while the plenum is off I can clean up and smooth out the runner entrances.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#17 | |
|
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,332
|
Quote:
Thinking back to my own can-shaped design, the flow analysis showed that there was pretty much no air movement in the shoulder area of the TB side. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#18 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
Well, remember that it was just a mass produced Corolla manifold and not a high performance racing component. The welds are actually well controlled, but I do think I can improve the runner ports with the trusty old Dremel... something that no manufacturer would take the time to do because there's no return on investment.
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| homemade intake manifold | ttr125fan09 | Performance Modifications | 1 | 02-17-2012 01:09 AM |
| Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous | blacksandiegovitz | Performance Modifications | 9 | 04-21-2010 07:05 PM |
| Turbo Manifold thread | Sabretooth | Forced Induction Forum | 78 | 05-22-2009 06:52 AM |
| turbo manifold build... | joey1320 | Forced Induction Forum | 4 | 06-30-2007 02:26 PM |