Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #847
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
because no material is removed, just compressed.
I don't know about that. Look at the welds; they look filed down. Sorry, but overall that just looks terrible to me. I know you'd want an honest opinion.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #848
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I don't know about that. Look at the welds; they look filed down. Sorry, but overall that just looks terrible to me. I know you'd want an honest opinion.
Hey Garm

That pic of the dirty manifold and the clean one aren't of the same part. I just took a pic of one of the dirty manifolds to show the contrast. The texture of each of the welds on the manifolds varies widely. I suspect that they were done by hand as they are not consistent as with automatic machine welding.

The horizontal line isn't a weld because it's a one piece casting. That's a thick seam from the two halves of the mold. And there has been no filing on any of the welds as it serves no purpose. When it's installed on the engine, the casting marks aren't visible...



I haven't bead blasted this tooter yet because it's on the daily driver. Just rubbed on it some with a scrubbie to clean it up a bit. I'll post up some more detailed pics tomorrow.

Last edited by tooter; 09-15-2012 at 01:27 AM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #849
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
I like that...maybe throw a satin clear coat on it and be done
The shot peened surface doesn't even need a clear coat as the small pores in the surface are closed up. I wanted a surface that I could process simply all in one step and that would hold its appearance over time without any maintenance.

The new order of SS shot came today so I'll be blasting all I want tomorow.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #850
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
With lots of beads, I can blast all I want. The beads haven't become polished from use yet so this surface is a little more matt than it will be when they are. I'm just practicing to see how the whole setup works.

Picked up two more flanges and blasted one just for fun while I'm breaking in the beads...





You can see the Dremel cut out lines on the inside edges of the two outer ports. I'll be hitting them with the grinder and then blasting the finished surface.

Last edited by tooter; 09-15-2012 at 09:43 PM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #851
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
 
CrankyOldMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,332
Shiny! I'm assuming these are going into retail units?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #852
packetrace
 
packetrace's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 566
how much do you plan ?
__________________
Interior:ALL red, black roof
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #853
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Shiny! I'm assuming these are going into retail units?
Hey Cranky,

It's actually quite matt compared to the raw shiny machined surfaces. However, the durable shot peened surface will retain it's appearance over time.

Yes. Some will go to make complete manifolds, and some will be do-it-yourself parts kits to which you add your own manifold.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #854
packetrace
 
packetrace's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 566
To me they look really nice I like the surface finish :)
__________________
Interior:ALL red, black roof
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #855
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by packetrace View Post
how much do you plan ?
One at a time!

None of the throttle body adaptors have been machined yet. Only the two flanges so far. I'll be kept busy for a while cleaning and blasting the old manifolds and getting them welded up.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #856
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
tooter two is ready for the welder...



It was just an experiment filling the letters with paint. It'll get burned off with the welding. But it doesn't matter because everything gets bead blasted when it's done anyways.

On to tooter three...
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #857
packetrace
 
packetrace's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 566
nice thing :D
__________________
Interior:ALL red, black roof
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #858
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
As of today I'm officially a yarisworld tooter vendor.
I'm just on a month by month basis, because I don't think this business is going to last very long before it folds.

There's supposed to be a green vendor tooter on my nameplate, but I don't think that's going to be happening.

I'm offering for sale as a complete kit:

1. one welded, assembled, bead blasted tooter manifold
2. one matching throttle body adaptor for either 1NZ 4 bolt 48mm... or 1ZZ 4 bolt 51mm
3. one OEM flat throttle body adaptor gasket
4. three throttle body adaptor allen head bolts
5. one OEM O ring throttle body gasket for 4 bolt 48mm... or one OEM flat throttle body gasket for 4 bolt 51mm
6. one OEM O ring intake manifold gasket

$425 +shipping.

Also offered is a tooter do-it-yourself kit where you supply our own manifold, consisting of:

1. one tooter intake manifold adaptor flange
2. one throttle body adaptor
3. three allen head throttle body adaptor bolts
4. one OEM flat throttle body adaptor gasket

$250 +shipping


(picture us of an unblasted manifold)

I also offer a tooter manifold with no adaptor which fits a 1ZZ 3 bolt 51mm throttle body for $350 +shipping

You can use all of the same stock intake manifold bolts as well as the 3 stock throttle body studs and 1 bolt on the tooter.

The bead blasted manifold will readily accept paint, powdercoating, or ceramic coating.

If you have any questions feel free to call or email me and I'll be happy to answer them:

My name is Greg.
.
310-455-3340
greggabi@verizon.net

Last edited by tooter; 09-20-2012 at 05:45 PM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #859
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 5dr LE (deceased), 13 Soul
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,827
Good luck to you as a vendor Greg

Now go and introduce yourself/product in the Sponsor Classified Forum.
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #860
baseballfan416
 
Drives: 2017 L 3-door
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Milwaukee, Wi
Posts: 161
Tried to search through this thread for comments on gas mileage to no avail... Any significant difference either way?
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #861
suckerface
#1 Lemming
 
suckerface's Avatar
 
Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 760
He mentioned during his testing over (I think) two tanks of gas that it didn't make any significant difference, possibly a bit higher. It didn't drop at all, however.
__________________
suckerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #862
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,450
Hmmm. I might have to order one of the DIY kits to experiment with one of the 2TZ superchargers that can be readily found for about $300.

Supercharger.JPG
__________________
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #863
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan416 View Post
Tried to search through this thread for comments on gas mileage to no avail... Any significant difference either way?
There was a slight increase but it was not significant. I took the mileage readings from the last 699.6 miles @ 19.508 gallons before installing the tooter,and the average came out to 35.86 mpg. I didn't count the fillup that had the stock dyno runs in it so that the average wouldn't get dragged down.

Then I took the following 514.0 miles @ 13.133 gallons running with the tooter. Also not counting the fillup that had the the dyno runs, and the average is 39.13 mpg. Not exactly in hypermiler territory.

So even with the peak horsepower and peak torque being essentially the same as the stock manifold, the comparative dyno runs clearly show that the tooter underperformed the stock manifold under wide open throttle conditions. However, it does work very well in normal every day partial throttle driving conditions. When you let out the clutch taking off from a full stop it hardly takes any throttle which is really nice when driving in traffic.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #864
baseballfan416
 
Drives: 2017 L 3-door
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Milwaukee, Wi
Posts: 161
39 vs 36 = about a 7-8% gain (3 of 36 = 1/12th = 8.5%). That's pretty legitimate!

The reason I'm intrigued by this is because here we have a product that was essentially taken off of a 1.8liter corolla engine (correct me if I'm wrong). That engine, in it's time, was rated 30city 40 or 41hwy mpg? Combine the better "breathing" capacity with a lower displacement and I think this could be of particular interest to the hypermiling crowd. In a way, you don't necessarily want more power to get better mileage, but rather you're trying to make the engine run more efficiently. Hence the -1hp +1tq is an afterthought if it improves overall drive-ability.

If I had the money, I would get an MI pulley, some sort of an intake manifold gasket (to lessen heat soak), this product and either keep the stock tb or get the mystical corolla tb that everyone is so infatuated with. Combine that with an injen intake (assuming anyone ever responds to my wtb thread) and I bet I could break 50-52mpg in the summer (44-46 avg this past summer).

Of course, this would all cost about $700+ so even with a 5% gain in gas mileage, I'd have to drive the car 10-14 years to make up the difference in saved fuel cost.
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
homemade intake manifold ttr125fan09 Performance Modifications 1 02-17-2012 01:09 AM
Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous blacksandiegovitz Performance Modifications 9 04-21-2010 07:05 PM
Turbo Manifold thread Sabretooth Forced Induction Forum 78 05-22-2009 06:52 AM
turbo manifold build... joey1320 Forced Induction Forum 4 06-30-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.