Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
400 dollar yaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
aux port

my auxiliary cable port in my yaris sedan doesn't seem to work right with any aux cables I always have to stuff things around the cord to make my iphone connect to the stereo any way I can take the aux port out to see it is damaged or replace it ?
400 dollar yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
My aux port began doing the same thing right before it died. It's very easy to take out. If it's located in the center console, where the parking brake is, all you have to do is pull back the square plastic piece holding the aux in place. There are no clips and requires little effort to lift. Once the square piece is lifted, you can remove the aux port.

I can't remember which models have the aux port located in the radio itself, but that I do not know if you can just "replace" it without getting a new radio.
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
400 dollar yaris

Mine is located in the little pocket on the passenger side of the center console i don't know why it doesn't work right do you think I have to get a new stereo
Old 11-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 dollar yaris View Post
Mine is located in the little pocket on the passenger side of the center console i don't know why it doesn't work right do you think I have to get a new stereo
Is it in the pocket or mounted in one of the 4 rectangular knock-outs? If it is in the actual pocket it sounds like it is not an OEM one.

This is what an OEM one looks like:
Old 11-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
400 dollar yaris

it is actually in the pocket. this is why its such a pain in the ass to have to adjust to get it to work. it is hard enough just to get it plugged in. ill get a picture of it when I go out to my car. the head unit is a little different, but the auxiliary port looks the same .
Old 11-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
it is actually in the pocket. this is why its such a pain in the ass to have to adjust to get it to work. it is hard enough just to get it plugged in. ill get a picture of it when I go out to my car. the head unit is a little different, but the auxiliary port looks the same .
Ah, I just ran into a picture of where the OEM aux jack is located on the Sedan (I seldom get to poke at sedans, so I miss those differences).

If you existing one can be made to work by holding the cable in just the right position, then the inside contacts of the jack have gotten bent to the point where they no longer spring back into the proper position. In that case, you will be best of replacing the jack assembly, rather than trying to repair it.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
400 dollar yaris

by replacing the jack assembly do you mean just the little black box with the plug on it? honestly though is it worth spending the money on a new stereo to power my speakers ? if you think that is the better way to go then I will probably just go that route.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
by replacing the jack assembly do you mean just the little black box with the plug on it? honestly though is it worth spending the money on a new stereo to power my speakers ? if you think that is the better way to go then I will probably just go that route.
Yes - I mean just replacing that black box. It's totally your call on the new stereo. There are a lot of benefits to doing so, but you will also spend quite a bit more than for just replacing the bad aux jack.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Spending some extra cash on a single/double din is, IMO, worth the investment if you plan on upgrading your sound system. Also, most new dins come with a usb/aux port in the front. In general, a new stereo will be able to provide more power to your speakers and will be substantially better if you get amps/subs. As CTScott said, you will be spending more on the stereo.
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
400 dollar yaris

so I know it would be better in the long run to probably replace the whole stereo, but Im a cheap bastard. so anyone know how I would go about locating a new jack assembly? and would the wiring harness just plug right into the back of the new jack assembly?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
so I know it would be better in the long run to probably replace the whole stereo, but Im a cheap bastard. so anyone know how I would go about locating a new jack assembly? and would the wiring harness just plug right into the back of the new jack assembly?
There is a connector on the back of the jack, so you just unplug it, squeeze the tabs on the jack assembly and slide it out. I have a couple of AUX jacks on hand, but they are from liftbacks, which typically have a different connector (the sedan ones usually have one row of pins and the liftback ones two rows). If you check and it happens to be the same as the liftback I can hook you up.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
400 dollar yaris

Thanks I will unplug it soon and post a pic thanks for all the help !