Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2019, 04:04 PM   #11
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
your breather shouldn't be the cause of any vacuum issues as it is not connected to the intake in any way. How you currently have it set up is smart as the PCV is normally closed under boost pressure and any blow by will not be able to vent - therein lies the solution of the valve cover breather.

The only way I could see this being a potential issue is during idle when the PCV in barely open and pulling mild vacuum on the crankcase. The breather technically allows fresh air to enter the valve cover and potentially out the PCV and into your intake. Since the PCV venting enters downstream of the MAF (IIRC) then it is unmetered air.

Easiest way to figure this out would be to block of your valve cover breather and see if the fuel trims correct themselves. If they do than a check valve on that breather tube to stop air from going back into the valve cover should solve that issue
You, sir, are a wonder! I was thinking about doing precisely what you mentioned with regard to blocking the breather hose and checking fuel trims. I hadn't thought about the check valve but may have eventually come to the conclusion to try the valve. So, you wouldn't anticipate any issues with, say, an extended period of idling and no way for fresh air to get back into the crankcase as it would stopped by the check valve. I guess I'm not sure I fully understand this system as the original valve cover vent was connected to the intake pipe before the MAF sensor, which, I assume, would also have vacuum on it. How would fresh air ever enter the engine if both the valve cover vent and PCV are under vacuum? Help me understand. LOL!

I am going to check my vacuum again this evening, but even with the open valve cover breather, I think I was getting around 25"/hg at idle. I'll monitor vacuum with the valve cover breather blocked off and not blocked off. BTW, I did test my oil catch can and it's sealed. When I started opening the ball valve, I could hear strong suction and the engine started to stumble. Close the check valve and idle went back to being smooth.
__________________


2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 7 09-20-2023 07:50 AM
3rd gen 2zr swap with 6 speed stidnam Performance Modifications 97 06-29-2021 04:59 AM
Hyundai Turbo Veloster 150kw *MAD DOG* Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions 6 01-09-2012 11:35 PM
ZPI Turbo for one lucky Yaris owner..... ZPIracing Forced Induction Forum 27 04-26-2007 10:36 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.