Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
I think under glow is illegal here... Wheel well lighting would look wicked! I don't want anything that's too distracting either. My blue under the dash isn't crazy bright, which is good. Come to think of it, I probably won't be able to have the blue LEDs in my rear speakers because they're right in the back window... I'd be pulled over for sure =( Front speakers are fair game though =) Hmmm maybe one LED behind each door handle on the inside of the doors... people always fumble to find the handles in my car =P
==============================
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
Slick

Drives: '09 3-Dr
Send a message via MSN to Slick
Have you seen this post? Awesome, that all i can say lol. I'm thinking about doing it myself, but I dont want to be too much of a copy cat.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...oor+handle+led
Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #21
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Yeah! I was looking at that yesterday like 5 times! And the fact that it's hooked to the dome like is a wicked idea because they'd fade in and out when you unlock/lock your doors :D That'd look really slick =D Although, my car is Flint Mica so it might be a little too dark for the LEDs to show well enough. So I might just stick to the interior of the car.
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #22
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
You would be surprised how bright LEDs are.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #23
Armani

Drives: Toyota Yaris
How is the wiring super easy???
I got LED sticks and I have NO IDEA how the wiring works...in the car...
help please! :)
Armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #24
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armani View Post
How is the wiring super easy???
I got LED sticks and I have NO IDEA how the wiring works...in the car...
help please! :)
I was afraid of the wiring with a lot of things in the car at first too. Once you get the basic idea, look out! You'll want to wire everything! I know that's what happened with me

Basically anything powered, like the LEDs or LED sticks, has to have the 12v source and a ground to complete the circuit. There are tons of places from which to get your source, depending on how you want to run them. Grounding can be done anywhere on the metal body of the car; there are tons of locations. There are also already wired grounds you can tap into.

The hard part is figuring out where to hook the things up to but with all the resources in this forum, it turns into a piece of cake. The fun part is figuring out where to run the wires to hide them Electrical tape is your friend; you don't want something to ground out accidentally in the wrong place and possibly short something important. Basically do some reading, look at diagrams and figure out what they mean. Use the search function of the forum; tons of resource. And then ask your questions. There are tons of people on here that are more than willing to help out.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #25
LEGATO``

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
aw man

we need a DIY done on the wiring part
ive been wanting to do this for qquite some time now
Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #26
Slick

A DIY on how to wire? Holy crap, that would take 20 pages. The actual explanation would only be a page or two. But all of the freakin warnings and hazards that could be associated with it will fill up the rest lol.

I tapped into the 12v supply to my H/U. I tapped in the H/U wires for the ground as well. I ran the wires under the center console to the back. I ran the wires inisde the dash for the front. Thats the skinny of it.

Consult this http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10195 to find out which wires to the radio you can use. Its near the bottom of the first post. The wires described are the wires coming from the car to the plug, not from the plug to the radio.

Let me know if I can help or clarify anything.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #27
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
Whats not mentioned about LEDs or Light Emiting Diodes is they are polar (meaning if you put them on backwards they pop), and they are VERY sensative to current, you put too much through them and they pop... and most dont take 12v to those who wanna do this themselves. Please buy a kit, not parts...
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #28
Slick

+1, chongo is right. I bought a kit that already had resistors and everything required to make the LED's work. Nick said he put in his own LED's using parts that he bought. If you notice on the last post of the first page he bought resistors as well. These are required to drop the voltage so the LED's dont POP lol.

Oh, btw, does anyone know what happens when you put a fuse in backwards?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #29
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
You cant put it in backwards, unless they just made it look that way. Fuses are not polar in most cases.
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #30
Slick

They SUCK instead of blow ahahahahahaha.

Geez chongo, so serious.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #31
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Wow more corney jokes. I think I'm going to call you corn cob
Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #32
Slick

Lets not and say you did :D
Old 09-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #33
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Haha
Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #34
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
+1, chongo is right. I bought a kit that already had resistors and everything required to make the LED's work. Nick said he put in his own LED's using parts that he bought. If you notice on the last post of the first page he bought resistors as well. These are required to drop the voltage so the LED's dont POP lol.

Oh, btw, does anyone know what happens when you put a fuse in backwards?
Yeah, resistors are definitely required or, like Slick said, they pop

My favorite resource for this: http://ledcalculator.net/

I forget who posted it in a different thread; I'm definitely too tired right now to go searching. But it's perfect. You'll have the specs on the LED package most definitely. In a spec sheet wherever you buy/order them from.

Also, a good place to buy LEDs in bulk with really good shipping: http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/index.php

As for how to wire... as stated above; that would take pages.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #35
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
I have led's at home and I have the proper resistance to put them on 12v and if I put the positive (+) on the wrong side of the led, they just don't lit up and they don't blow up. But when you buy led's the longest pin is (99.9%) the positive one and oyu need to solder the resistance on that pin.

Not sure if it make sense it's too early for me
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #36
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Wow reading this post, has gotten me back in the mood to add more accent lighting to my existing LEDS. The door handle one definatley peaked my interest.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote