Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #361
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
That sucks that all of you are having such problems with the 030 1ZZ TB. I ran mine for almost a year, and only had that issue for 15 minutes while the ECU sorted it out. From then on, it was only a high rev on cold start, and leveled out after about 2-3 minutes.

Props to tooter for the advice given to everyone, he seems to have found the fix without the chip swap.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #362
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
I can't wait to see somebody post up a dyno chart showing this manifold coupled with I/H/E :D
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #363
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post

My guess is I need to do a chip swap. The car doesn't drive perfect. When I am coasting off of the throttle, say at 30mph (or any mph, doesn't matter), it doesn't matter if I barely touch the throttle or hammer the throttle, the car has a tiny "hiccup" feeling, as if the throttle was partly open then it closed and then opened. It's hard to describe. Also, when I am at partial throttle and I let off the throttle, it hangs for a second or two before closing and starting to decelerate. Is that normal? I know the car did it before, but it is far more pronounced now.

I also had some problems with high idle and idle hang, but I found that adjusting the throttle screw to a higher rpm idle has fixed it. I'm idling pretty high right now, probably around 1000-1200 rpm, but I haven't gotten a check engine light since I adjusted it this way (maybe 10 miles worth of driving where it would happen immediately before) so I think I am just going to leave it for now.

What do you guys think? I thought I had the right throttle body part number, but I'm thinking a chip swap is in my future.

Chip swap won't make a difference, I've been using the 1zz with the same problems, they just don't bother me. I like the idle hang. I get it during shifting(in a stick it's handy!) at high RPM, once in a while it'll be a momentary thing going from 1-2 in a parking lot, releasing the clutch stops it right away. I deal with the issues because of the boost in performance and the adjustable idle. I keep my idle between 900-1000, I absolutely hated the idle drop when the power system had a surge(subs or AC) and was wiling to do most anything to make it stop...I'm happy as a clam.

I do notice however, if I let the ecu(p0505 code) stay on long enough the ecu will adjust the idle on it's own down to about 750 which causes an occasional stall out if I shift into neutral at something like 50-60mph coasting onto an offramp. For that reason I just use my scangauge to clear the code every couple of days when it pops up.

I drive upwards of 400 miles a week in this car.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #364
4/20 NEVER FORGET

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
An update: a bit more tweaking and I've got this 1zz throttle body dialed in. The car drives great now, about 250 miles on the car since install. It takes about 30 seconds for the idle to climb down on cold starts and it's fine after that. I took the car out on some of my favorite roads and the new manifold/throttle body gave it a noticeable power bump, it's especially snappy coming out of tight corners in 2nd and 3rd gear while high in revs.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the upgrade! Thanks again for the advice everyone.
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #365
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
An update: a bit more tweaking and I've got this 1zz throttle body dialed in. The car drives great now, about 250 miles on the car since install. It takes about 30 seconds for the idle to climb down on cold starts and it's fine after that. I took the car out on some of my favorite roads and the new manifold/throttle body gave it a noticeable power bump, it's especially snappy coming out of tight corners in 2nd and 3rd gear while high in revs.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the upgrade! Thanks again for the advice everyone.
I'm happy for you...
The 1ZZ throttle body is one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do because it enhances all of the other mods.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #366
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Angry

Quote:

What are you idling at?

My odometer 03/11
Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #367
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I'm happy for you...
The 1ZZ throttle body is one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do because it enhances all of the other mods.
Agreed 100%

Other than the high idle at cold starts (which I'm fine with), I have nothing to complain about. It's been running great for many years, and it did in fact make the rest of my existing performance mods shine even more.

BTW, Did you guys bypass the coolant line on your 1ZZ TBs? I did it since day one with no issues so far. Just wondering if you all did the same...
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #368
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ That's the free secret mod right there. Not recommended in very cold climates, though.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #369
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

to be honest I really want the intake manifold...but if I'm going to get it I want the most out of it and that means running a 1ZZ throttle body....but apparently there are some idle issues associated with it.

also I refuse to keep throwing ECU codes, which someone mentioned he does up above and just clears it every few days.

that's a big bummer because I actually traded in a 325i after spending nearly 5K in one year trying to fix an idle issue. I refuse to introduce one to my Yaris.....now I've got more to think about regarding the manifold :(
Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #370
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
to be honest I really want the intake manifold...but if I'm going to get it I want the most out of it and that means running a 1ZZ throttle body....but apparently there are some idle issues associated with it.
Don't let that misconception get between you and Garm's manifold. There are absolutely no idle issues with a 1ZZ throttle body if you do a couple of simple procedures right from the get go before you install it. At startup and at idle you would never know I'm running a 1ZZ...

...until you step on the gas.

The everyday driveability and throttle response are both superb.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #371
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

ok, I just REALLY don't want to have to mess with idle issues again.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #372
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

If you're happy with the way the car idles stock you'll likely only be dealing with the high idle on cold starts. I wanted to idle at about 1k so the trade off of spending literally 1 second pressing buttons every couple of days is worth it. Remember, for me a couple of days is a couple hundred miles...

My odometer 03/11
Old 02-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #373
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Agreed 100%

Other than the high idle at cold starts (which I'm fine with), I have nothing to complain about. It's been running great for many years, and it did in fact make the rest of my existing performance mods shine even more.

BTW, Did you guys bypass the coolant line on your 1ZZ TBs? I did it since day one with no issues so far. Just wondering if you all did the same...
I bypassed the coolant line on mine, and I live in WI where temps regularly get into single digits for 4-5 months of the year. Zero problems.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #374
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ That's good to know.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #375
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Sorry for a stupid question: Why do you guys need to bypass the coolant lines from the TB?

Just TB preventing the original lines to be used or there is smth else?
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #376
tooter
play every day

The coolant hose fittings are oriented differently on the two throttle bodies...

I just jiggered the hoses around until they fit without kinking.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #377
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
Sorry for a stupid question: Why do you guys need to bypass the coolant lines from the TB?

Just TB preventing the original lines to be used or there is smth else?

I ran out of hose...never got back to it. I could probably do it right now I guess

My odometer 03/11
Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #378
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
^Thx
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote