Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
New high mile driver questions

I got a 09 Yaris (18 miles) 3 weeks ago. I did lots of internet searching before I got it and decided it would be the best thing for my needs. I’m sitting at 4700 miles and have some questions but don’t think I should make multiple threads for what should be simple stuff.

1. On cold days there is a green temp light that comes with start ups and stays on for about a 3 minutes or so then turns off. It has been -0* if that makes a difference. Do I need to get them to look at something?
2. I would love a set of seat covers and have air bags in the seat. I want fitted covers made for airbags. I have found some on ebay but want to know if others are out there. I don’t want leather and I’m more looking for protection of the seats then to dress it up.
3. It’s going into the shop on Monday for its first time for oil / filter change. But I was thinking about getting the trans oil done. I know how the wet disks are made and how much left over will end up in the trans form there making. Most months I drive 5500 to 6500. I know there’s no filter in the trans but was thinking it might help out in the long run.
firebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
1) It just means your engine is not warmed up to operating temperature yet so take it easy

don't have an answer for the other two

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
I would forgo the seat covers as it might hinder air bag deployment in an accident. If you really want to go that route I would ask a Toyota Rep to see what they think about it.
If you check your owners manual you will find the transmission doesn't need service until the 100,000 or 125,000 mark, I think you would just be wasting your money to have it serviced. I have a 2007 sedan auto and have 46000 miles on it and never had the transmisson serviced yet have had no problems.

The Yaris is a trouble free car with little or now maintence necessary except oil and filter change for the first 100000 miles. Just my two cents worth.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Ferret_san
Hack.... What hack ??

Drives: 07 YR
Here in Oz, Toyota Australia have seat covers that are specifically suited to
seats with side air bags. Basically the seems at the sides are designed in such
a way that they allow the bag to release properly. Who knows maybe your
local dealer may know more.

That said;
1. They are a genuine part and cost a bloody fortune.
2. They look crap
3. Dealers still don't recommend you fit them.

/Ferret_san.

Last edited by Ferret_san; 03-07-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: shit I need a beer...
Ferret_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
For the seat covers check out this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9523

I just installed a set on my 09. They are designed to pop their seams when the side airbag deploys.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
firebob

1. I didn’t realize the green was for cold. I’m used to having gages not lights.

2. It looks like it will be best with out the seat covers.
I did ask the dealer I got it at and they said there were not being made.

3. This thought was biased off the amount of dust and fuzz left on the wet disks from the surfacing processes. I know some manufactories have them dusted but did not know if Toyota did. This will be the first automatic I have owned so I was kind of unsure if others did it or not.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #7
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
How can i determine if i have airbags in the seats?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How can i determine if i have airbags in the seats?
If you do, there will be a tag on the door side of the back of the front seats that say SRS Airbag.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
firebob

I THINK I read all US 09’s have 7 air bags. But according to law every airbag has to have some sort of marking on it. The seats have a tag.