Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Crazy Butcher

Drives: Yaris 2008
Cable throttle body

As the title says, me and one of my friend, we were talking about how i could modify the yarii, He was thinking about putting the cable throttle from a 2000+ 1nz echo, instead of the electronic one we already have.
He's he right? would it make any sens? Wouldnt it make the Ecu go crazy?
Ive tried to find anything on that subject but i didnt find nothing.If it already had been talked about please send me to the thread. Thx guys
Crazy Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
It's been done, 2 cars that I know of (mine and Garm's (aka cali yaris)), but in conjunction with different ECUs. I somehow doubt that you could do it on the stock ECU as there is a feedback system that will most likely throw a CEL...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Assuming this project is on a car with a stock ECU -- This means you'd also be replacing the electronic gas pedal, so that signal would no longer be sent to the ECU. Problematic.

But more importantly, this mod wouldn't make any more power. So besides it being a cool idea, what would be the purpose?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
what do you mean Garm...this mod wouldn't make any more power ?
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
they are asking about changing from the drive by wire to going to a cable driven. the throttle body is the same (I think)

this is different than converting to the 1zz (or corolla) throttle body.

I think the OP is saying to use the same size (1nz) throttle body.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
packetrace

What does it add to the car ? It more fun to drive ?
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

It might eliminate the lag from the stock electronic throttle -- I love the cable throttle in my car. But it's a pretty big project for such a small result on a more or less stock car.

A throttle controller like the ones we sell would be plug 'n play and do the same thing.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
packetrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
It might eliminate the lag from the stock electronic throttle -- I love the cable throttle in my car. But it's a pretty big project for such a small result on a more or less stock car.

A throttle controller like the ones we sell would be plug 'n play and do the same thing.
do you have the link of it ? :)
Old 06-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
Crazy Butcher

Drives: Yaris 2008
Garm: The main idea was to see what we could do for the "lag" so he told me he had a 2000+ 1nz that was cable throttle and it would be better and Yes garm it was ment to go on my stock ECU.

BEEF: Your right

Is there any write up or any DIY on this, i highly doubt but still worth asking! thx guys for such fast answers!
Crazy Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
The '04-'06 xA uses a cable operated throttle as well.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The bigger problem is that the throttle position sensor is different. I think CTScott has done some analysis of the electrical signals on the drive-by-wire (DBW) version but wasn't able to make much progress.

I disassembled a DBW throttle body and wasn't able to make sense of the electronics inside. There's a pair of magnets and a coil that determines open/closed loop operation, and that might also indicate the position of the valve. Beyond that, I can't really say how it works.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There are two redundant Hall effect sensors in the DBW pedal. Fooling the ECM with that wouldn't be difficult. On the other side the ECM drives the servo on the throttle body based on the pedal signals and looks for the position to match what it is driving. So, replacing all of that with a cable system and adding the necessary electronics to fool the ECM would really not be worth it, as the aftermarket throttle controllers for the DBW do a good job of reducing the lag and are plug and play.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Here is the most reasonably priced plug 'n play throttle controller out now.
I have a unit, but the Yaris-specific harness that goes with it is on back order:

http://www.weapon-r.com/products/196...ontroller-unit

Blitz also makes one if you want to spend twice as much.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
^definitely a less headache-inducing solution...

CTScott, what if you were to somehow keep the electronic throttle just hanging in free air and somehow still receiving a signal from the pedal? Then it would report *correct* values to the ECU, even though the actual throttle being used is the cabled one? Far too complicated a solution, but probably the only way it would work with the stock ECU!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
^definitely a less headache-inducing solution...

CTScott, what if you were to somehow keep the electronic throttle just hanging in free air and somehow still receiving a signal from the pedal? Then it would report *correct* values to the ECU, even though the actual throttle being used is the cabled one? Far too complicated a solution, but probably the only way it would work with the stock ECU!
The problem though is that the injector pulsing is relative that that, not relative to the position of the mechanical one, so you would still have the same lag.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Here is the most reasonably priced plug 'n play throttle controller out now.
I have a unit, but the Yaris-specific harness that goes with it is on back order:

http://www.weapon-r.com/products/196...ontroller-unit

Blitz also makes one if you want to spend twice as much.
Hey Garm,

I didn't know anything like that even existed. Our 2012 is hypersensitive right at the beginning of the pedal stroke which makes it difficult to modulate the rpms when letting out the clutch to move from a standing start. The tendency is to overrev the engine. While I'm learning to be mindful of this sensitivity, I really miss the linear control of a cable. Would an ithrottle compensate for this?
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Yes, that is exactly the kind of thing it would help with. I'm not sure how many modes it has, but usually there are several available so you can choose the one that enhances your driving style the most.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
i-Drive, i-Throttle, 3-Drive, Pivot, Violence - all same type of electronic throttle controllers, just different brands. Sabretooth has a DIY on it - very simple to install. Plug-n-drive :)
Here is the link to the DIY with a full write up.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote