Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
amorris5028
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Help installing amp

I've had my 2007 Yaris sedan for a little over a year now and I'm trying to add an amp but have never installed one before... I installed a set of two front Infinity Kappas with no problem and my rear two Infinity Kappa 6x9 2-ways should be coming in any day... I didn't know though if anyone could help me out on what I'm going to need to install this amp to the stock head unit preferably without having to splice any of the factory wiring... Thanks!
amorris5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
SiliconRane
Dr. Trunk Monkey

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris
You are purchasing an amp with this kind of User Rating from Amazon . . . http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...ustomerReviews

But as far as a suggestion . . .

Are you running a factory Head Unit? If So, you will need a Good Line Out Converter. Then i would take the time and purchase a decent Wiring Kit (Most include all you need, make sure that you get a 4 channel install kit) since you don't have much experience installing stereo equipment. There are a lot of options for installation, From Under seat to trunk mount. But realistically, if you are going to take the time to install an amp to drive the door speakers then you should take the time to re-wire the car from the Amp-Back. After you use the Line Out Converter to tap the wiring Harness behind the deck, run the RCA cables from the LOC through the car to wherever you decide to install the AMP. Before you put your Dash back together run another wire for your remote turn-on from the wiring harness back to where you plan on installing the amp. (The remote turn on doesn't have to be a big thick wire) Run the Power wire from the Battery Terminal to wherever you want your amp. Be sure to Disconnect your (+) terminal from your battery any time you are working on your sh*t or run the risk of getting zapped. As far as a grounding terminal for your amp . . . find a nice bare spot on the frame and use a self tapping screw or use an existing ground point somewhere else. You will have to run speaker wire from your amp to each of your speakers. Make sure you keep the polarity correct because speakers that are connected incorrectly will play but not sound right due to being "Out of Phase".

Now, this has been an OVER SIMPLIFIED version of what you must do. I suggest you search the forums for pictures and examples of what other people have done before you go chopping up your car. I would also suggest you do more research on stereo equipment before you purchase . . . the key is to search search search!! Good Luck and ask me if you need anything else!!

SR
SiliconRane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
If you have the stock deck there will not really be any way to properly install any amp with out the splicing of wires. Even some aftermarket decks need some custome wiring techniques.

A strong suggestion for tools would be a volt meter, it can help you figure out a remote wire from the back of the headunit, unless you want to try running a power switch. Not sure how much you know so I will explain:
Remote wire from Headunit turns on amp when car is on, and turns off amp when car is off. Personally I don't like amps running when the car is not, so I spliced some wiring to create a remote wire from the stock deck and because I would not remember to turn off the switch. Let me know if you need pics, I can get you some from when I did mine, but you will definitly need a volt meter to do it right, your wiring harness might be different in some freakish slight way, I dunno, I have the 07 LB.

And SiliconRain is absolutly right about getting a 4-channel amp kit and LOC. I got my LOC cheap and good from Wal-Mart of all places and just need to figure out where I am going to mount. The amp kit I picked out from an electronics wholesaler when I lived in SoCal.

If you don't know what specs for wire gauge you will need to try searching for details about the amp online or just wait. However if you cannot wait, go to any electronics shop and ask for a 4-channel amp kit for however many watts you amp hits total, worst comes to worse you round up some. The papers that come with amps explain minimum standards needed to run the amp. The whole process should not take more than 4-5 hours to get this all done even if you have not done it before. Thinking about it if you need any pics for this project I could probably set you up, let me know.

Good Luck