Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Drives: 07 Gerbil Powered Hatchback
Debadging, but pin striping

I read through he thread on taking of the emblems and have always thought that looked pretty slick, but I was wondering if there is an easy way to remove the pin striping-ish logo that the dealer put on. I figure it would be pointless to remove the Toyota and Yaris, but still have a damn Eddy's Toyota logo left. I tried looking around, but must admit I am being lazy here. Any advice? Thanks.
umm_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I heated mine up with a pistol hairdryer and then peeled it off very easily. Then I waxed the area and it's as if it was never there!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:05 AM   #3
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

I think I might give her a try. This to me seems like one of those "It sounds good on paper, but..." ideas, but what the hell. Is the 3m adhesive remover safe for the paint? I figure that would be a better idea than lighter fluid, turpentine, etc.

Again, I really appreciate all of the help I have gotten here on Yaris World. You guys are awesome.

I can't imagine that a car I bought a month ago would have had time for the adhesive to discolor the paint, right? I feel like a pussy, but I have never had a brand spankin new car and don't want to eff it up. I might stay sober for trying that one...but booze is always a good excuse when you screw up.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Warm the area (keep the car in the sun or use a hairdryer/heater gun) to melt the glue on the back of the sticker and peel it off. I cleaned the left-off glue off my Yaris' tailgate with benzine but I guess the M3 remover is a safe choice too.
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 AM   #5
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
when in dought, Ask the dealer who put it on ! I'll bet he get's asked that alot .. in fact here in the Bay Area the dealers don't put them on cause it pisses us off out here in NorCali ............
2007 2 door hatchback in Black Sand Pearl, A/T,rear spoiler,front & rear JDM badges,TRD CAI,TRD rear sway bar,exhaust tip,sill protectors,heximats,under dash blue LED's,short rubber ant,rear bumper protector,Toyota thin 7 spoke alloy wheels,pwr pkg,ABS,side curtain airbags,rear defogger,fog lights,mud guards,TYC tail lights,shift knob,tint all windows,security sys,keyless entry,clear paint protection all exposed front surfaces,TRD fuel cap,rubber dash & g/b mats
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

If you heat the decal up really well with your dryer, and peel it off very slowly, it shouldn't leave any adhesive behind (after only a month or so). If it does leave just a little, then gently use your nail to remove the remaining, then wax the area. I don't think you'll need any chemical glue remover.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
get a fish line...it works great n super easy. i didnt even heat anything up.

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenjar View Post
get a fish line...it works great n super easy. i didnt even heat anything up.

-- Blen
We're talking about the dealers decal-type sticker here, not the Toyota or Yaris badges.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Psh, just rip it off you pussy! teehee
I used my finger nail cuz I'm a girl. Then a little of the "get these fucking bugs off of my car" juice.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
Edd

Drives: None
Your dealer put a sticker on your car?
What a load of crap, you aren't free advertising for them.

Over here, the common thing is to make the black border around the number plate have white writing saying the dealer's name. That way it just looks ghetto if you take the border off, so most people leave it on. Everyone is reasonably happy.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:27 AM   #11
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Over here, the common thing is to make the black border around the number plate have white writing saying the dealer's name. That way it just looks ghetto if you take the border off, so most people leave it on. Everyone is reasonably happy.
That's also done in Europe- plus some dealers put stickers on the rear bootlid. However, the width of electric isolation tape is just enough to cover the name of the dealer on the number plate surround
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:48 AM   #12
la panique
zhen zhong, it's big!

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Yeah, I've got the sticker from the dealer and the license plate frame. Luckily though, this is the most straight-forward, caring dealership i've ever dealt with...that and the logo is dark and subdued. I really don't need to mess with it at the moment.

Being originally from Ohio, anyone from the state can tell you about the big obnoxious emblems that Ricart used to put on the cars. They were freaking huge. Looks like enough people probably complained, so now they've gone to license frames. I remember when my dad had a truck and the big silver "#1 RICART" badge was bigger than the F-150 emblem.
la panique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:00 AM   #13
Edd

Heh, true. The funny thing is that where I live, there is only one dealer per make of car, so where else are you going to go?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 AM   #14
Sway84

Drives: 07 Yaris HB
Send a message via MSN to Sway84
lol in canada they put it on the plate cover so we never get them, or if we do get the emblem its the same adhesive material as the badges...lol awwww only in America lol jkjk

Ron Cabading
Sway84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #15
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

I finally got my lazy arse around to messing with the damn thing and it seems as if it is no problem at all. It has "Eddy's Wichita, Kansas" with all the damn letters separated and not connected at all, so that is 20 little pin-stripy stickers to take off. I just tried picking at the comma and it came off no problem. Rubbed it with my fingers and the glue was no mas.

Brown brought me some wheels today too. Hopefully I will have a third door sans emblems ridin' on 15's by the weekend, biatch. Auh, should have gone the spinners route. I guess I just won't be keepin' it real enough. By the way, nothing says OG like mud flaps; they should be here tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:00 PM   #16
Ferret_san
Hack.... What hack ??

Drives: 07 YR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Heh, true. The funny thing is that where I live, there is only one dealer per make of car, so where else are you going to go?
Good God !... And I bet Tel$tra don't even give you ADSL !
Ferret_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:40 AM   #17
Edd

lol. No we have had ADSL here since 2001 or so. We got it in 2003 with telstra, but upon realising that they suck big time, went to TPG. Telstra are one of the only ADSL2+ providers here though...
Old 09-13-2007, 02:27 AM   #18
QTvDWGbziqGjbkb
Novaton

Drives: Vitz 3 Doors Gray Metallic
Send a message via ICQ to QTvDWGbziqGjbkb Send a message via Yahoo to QTvDWGbziqGjbkb
Quote:
Originally Posted by umm_bacon View Post
I finally got my lazy arse around to messing with the damn thing and it seems as if it is no problem at all. It has "Eddy's Wichita, Kansas" with all the damn letters separated and not connected at all, so that is 20 little pin-stripy stickers to take off. I just tried picking at the comma and it came off no problem. Rubbed it with my fingers and the glue was no mas.

Brown brought me some wheels today too. Hopefully I will have a third door sans emblems ridin' on 15's by the weekend, biatch. Auh, should have gone the spinners route. I guess I just won't be keepin' it real enough. By the way, nothing says OG like mud flaps; they should be here tomorrow.
nic3 man! don't forget some wax in the area and post a few pics with ur new stuff on it. :=)
QTvDWGbziqGjbkb is offline   Reply With Quote