Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Yes... you're the first.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
All of the tooter manifold flanges are done now so I can start putting them on the manifolds...



The manifolds are all in various stages of being cleaned. They all basically looked like that dark dirty one as they're 14 year old junkyard parts, many from crashed vehicles. They all have scratches and dings, but look pretty decent when they're all cleaned and blasted.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
ljming99
 
Drives: Yaris '06
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 73
Manifold'mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
All of the tooter manifold flanges are done now so I can start putting them on the manifolds...



The manifolds are all in various stages of being cleaned. They all basically looked like that dark dirty one as they're 14 year old junkyard parts, many from crashed vehicles. They all have scratches and dings, but look pretty decent when they're all cleaned and blasted.
ljming99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
With the flanges done, the machining on the adaptors will be starting when I get these larger gaskets so that the adaptor design can be altered to fit them.



This Corolla gasket is larger then the Yaris one and allows for a 51mm bore. I decided to make just one adaptor which will fit either a 1NZ FE or a 1ZZ FE throttle body. This will allow for an easy upgrade without needing to change anything else.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #5
baseballfan416
 
Drives: 2017 L 3-door
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Milwaukee, Wi
Posts: 161
wait... so is this your next venture? making a corolla xrs manifold fit the yaris? dooood!
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan416 View Post
wait... so is this your next venture? making a corolla xrs manifold fit the yaris? dooood!
I doubt it...
I still don't have a completed 1ZZ manifold yet, as the newely revised adaptors are still in the process of being machined. So far all I have is the running prototype on our daily driver. It's interesting that others have been doing the same manifold adapting idea.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Finally... one completely finished manifold...
The bead blasting put a nice low luster finish on it and made the welds look a lot better by making all the surfaces take on the same evenly blasted texture. I even blasted the adaptor so that it now has a matte finish similar to the throttlebody...









Tooter #2 one now becomes the daily driver tooter because it had the worst dings in it. They're only cosmetic and are barely visible when looking low from the front, but it's still not fit for sale so I don't mind keeping it for our own use.

I'm still waiting on the adaptors which should be ready any day now. Tooter #3 is ready for the welder, and tooter #1 is going to the blaster.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
 
CrankyOldMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,332
Damn, that's sexy! It's like car pr0n...
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Viperoni
 
Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brampton, ON
Posts: 505
Looking good!
__________________
2006 Saturn Ion Redline
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
b20vteg
no show, no go :(
 
b20vteg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: maricopa, az
Posts: 369
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
sexy!
__________________
b20vteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
I bought a Simota intake from Buddy Fan (Thanks, Buddy ) shortened and bead blasted it to match the manifold. And am waiting on a silicone adaptor to finish it off...



Test fitting it into the throttlebody...





Last edited by tooter; 10-26-2012 at 05:39 PM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
tk-421
Super Moderator
 
tk-421's Avatar
 
Drives: 5D-07-LB
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dagobah
Posts: 4,262
That looks a lot better than before. The only concern is that the sensor is now a lot closer to the filter. Hopefully that won't cause a CEL.
__________________
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
That looks a lot better than before. The only concern is that the sensor is now a lot closer to the filter. Hopefully that won't cause a CEL.
That's just a test fit. It'll be a couple of inches farther away from the MAF sensor when the silicone adaptor coupling is installed.



The aluminium tube is 2.25 inches and the filter is 3 inches. There's plenty of room to move it out farther.



For all the crazy experiments I've tried, so far I've never gotten a CEL light.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
The silicone adaptor came today less than 36 hours after I had ordered it on ebay. That's speed of light shipping. So now the intake is ready (plus one more clamp) to install on the throttle body tomorrow...




tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #15
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
I'm excited to see how the manifold performs with a 1zz throttle body. Good work on keeping this project going!

Also, is that a Simota intake tube for Yaris or for another car? The tube diameter looks larger than the 1nz throttle body. I am using a k&n intake right now and the throttle tube size is nearly identical to the 1nz throttle body diameter, so I knew in the future when I swap to a 1zz throttle body I was going to have to get an intake with a larger diameter tube.

I remember reading something on here something saying that you couldn't go over a certain intake diameter because it would cause the MAF to throw a cel.
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post
I'm excited to see how the manifold performs with a 1zz throttle body. Good work on keeping this project going!
The redesigned adaptors should be done this week, and I''ll be picking up tooter #3 from the welder. So everything is progressing nicely.

Quote:
Also, is that a Simota intake tube for Yaris or for another car? The tube diameter looks larger than the 1nz throttle body.
It's for a Yaris. The tubing actually flares out to a larger diameter only where it connects to the silicone coupling at the throttle body...



...but is 2.25 inches at the MAF sensor which is the same as the Weapon R intake I've been using...



The Weapon R flares out to 2.5" in front of the MAF sensor while the Simota remans at 2.25" but then flares out to 3" to fit the air filter.

Quote:
I am using a k&n intake right now and the throttle tube size is nearly identical to the 1nz throttle body diameter, so I knew in the future when I swap to a 1zz throttle body I was going to have to get an intake with a larger diameter tube.
Yes. The K&N Typhoons are straight 2.25" tubing all the way through to the air filter. You raised an interesting point. To use the same MAF sensor with the 1ZZ throttle body, the MAF tubing section will still need to be 2.25" for it to work properly. But there are lots of intakes that go to larger diameter tubing in front of the MAF section, so all you would need is a silicone coupler to fit. The Simota appears to already address this situation as it flares to 2.5 and uses a reducer coupling to fit onto the 1NZ throttle body. If it was used with a 1ZZ throttle body, it would use a simple straight coupler.

Quote:
I remember reading something on here something saying that you couldn't go over a certain intake diameter because it would cause the MAF to throw a cel.
I've tried a few different intake configurations, but all of them are with the MAF tubing section at 2.25" and have never gotten a CEL light. So the front side of the 2.25" MAF section can be almost anything else.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #17
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Got the intake mounted and it fits fine...





Next comes the test drive. (oooh, goody )

edit: The engine runs great... and no CEL light.

Last edited by tooter; 10-28-2012 at 05:32 PM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
I see, thanks for the explanation. That's weird that the intake flares out right before meeting the throttle body. On the K&N it does not flare out so it doesn't require a reduced coupler.
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
homemade intake manifold ttr125fan09 Performance Modifications 1 02-17-2012 01:09 AM
Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous blacksandiegovitz Performance Modifications 9 04-21-2010 07:05 PM
Turbo Manifold thread Sabretooth Forced Induction Forum 78 05-22-2009 06:52 AM
turbo manifold build... joey1320 Forced Induction Forum 4 06-30-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.