![]() |
|
|
|
#955 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
Already ran into a snag...
The throttle body bore diameter of the Corolla throttle body is 55mm and not 51 mm. I'm still going to run it, and flared out the adapter with a Dremel and reblasted it to accept the larger diameter... ![]() So my question for anyone here who knows... are all of the Corolla throttle bodies 55mm and not 51mm? |
|
|
|
|
|
#956 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ULTIMATEDrives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,450
|
Quote:
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#957 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
It's on...
![]() ![]() Now I need to make up an intake that will fit the larger bore. Ediit: Just started it up... Jesus, the engine went nuts! The computer was all over the place wondering what to do. I just let it keep trying to figure out what the hell is going on hoping that it would learn the new idling parameters. It's still idling after about 10 minutes and is down to 900. And when you turn the lights on, it jumps up to 1,100. So it's going to need the idle screw turned down. Now I'm glad I chipped it out so that I don'n need to take off the throttle body. Ran out of daylight, so I'm going to take it for a test run and call it a day. Came back from the test run... plug and play my ass! ![]() The 030 throttle body has every single one of the problems that have ever been described. High idle Hanging throttle position. Erratic high rpms Rough jerking back and forth between throttle and decel. I was damn lucky just to make it back home in one piece. Almost hit a car in traffic. l let off the throttle expecting the car to slow down and it decides to do one of those sudden 3,000 rpm accelerations while wondering what to do. Bottom line... runs liks shit. Last edited by tooter; 01-07-2013 at 09:10 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#958 |
|
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,332
|
Where did you get 51mm from? I'm looking at my flange template and the mating bore diameter is 56mm. I'm thinking that the butterfly itself is 51?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#959 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
Here's a comparison between the two bodies...
![]() ...and the intake I cobbled together to fit the larger one...
|
|
|
|
|
|
#960 | |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
Quote:
![]() 51mm is the bore of the Corolla intake manifold. My guess is that Toyota must have gone to a 55mm bore throttle body when they changed to the plastic manifolds. The 55mm throttle body fits fine and there are no butterfly clearance issues because the perimeter of the bore is only 2mm smaller, but this is still an issue I need to resolve. There's plenty of space to flare the adaptor out to 55mm I already did a quickie on one with a Dremel. Greg |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#961 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: '08G2T Prius Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 163
|
awesome update!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#962 |
![]() ![]() Drives: 07 hatchback Join Date: May 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 118
|
that looks awesome!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#963 |
|
Super Moderator
|
55mm sounds about right. I made this exact mod a couple of years ago and I've had zero problems. I do have a high idle, but there's nothing I can do about that, since the idle screw has some epoxy on top of it. Ah well.
![]() That erratic behavior should go away after a couple of trips (at least it did in my case).
__________________
--[ FORUM RULES ]--[ SEARCHING TIPS ]--[ EYELIDS PICS ]--[ RBK SPOILER ]--[ BEST/WORST INVESTMENTS ]--
|
|
|
|
|
|
#964 |
|
1NZ-6spd
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
|
Mabey something got messed up on disassembly/re-assembly?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#965 |
|
#1 Lemming
Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 760
|
This. Astroman and myself aren't the only ones to have plug and play success. I'm guessing something went awry when you started the chip swap drilling and pulled the epoxy off the idle screw.
It took a good 10-15 min for my yaris to calm down at first, then a few minutes the next couple starts. Within a few days, it'd idle high for about 90 seconds when I first started the car. Drove it like that for about a year until the wreck. Didn't touch a thing on the TB except with some degreaser to clean it up. Also ran it with an SRI. Regular tubing size, just used a section of silicone tubing as a makeshift adapter. I'll try to find you my pics if you want to compare.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#966 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
Nope. I was super careful having read what everyone else did. Even picked out the epoxy real careful. The idle screw underneath is absolutely pristine...
![]() I'm going to give it a couple of cycles, just to see if anything gets better. I'm for sure going to swap out the chips to get rid of that really irritating delayed throttle notch between light throttle and decel. The chip behaves as if it was made to control the throttle for an automatic transmission as likely the majority of them were. Funny, if the 030 was supposed to be the good one. Makes me wonder what an 031 was like?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#967 |
|
#1 Lemming
Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 760
|
Might be a stupid question, but you confirmed on the part itself that's it's the proper part number?
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#968 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
Yes. The number is clearly printed on the chip. The throttle body itself is in excellent condition, and nothing on it had been buggered around with. I'm going to cycle it some more before I swap the chip, just to see if things get any better and I'm definitely going to turn the idle down!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#969 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ULTIMATEDrives: 07 Yaris Turbo Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
|
No one listens to me. I sold at least five pre-swapped TB's and none of my customers had issues. Swap the chip.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific. |
|
|
|
|
|
#970 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#971 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#972 |
![]() ![]() ![]() |
I swapped the chip on the tb I had and still had issues. The high idle finally came down a bit but when you let off the pedal to decel the car got kind of herky-jerky(bucked) I finally took it off because of that. You could feel that the acceleration was better though....
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| homemade intake manifold | ttr125fan09 | Performance Modifications | 1 | 02-17-2012 01:09 AM |
| Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous | blacksandiegovitz | Performance Modifications | 9 | 04-21-2010 07:05 PM |
| Turbo Manifold thread | Sabretooth | Forced Induction Forum | 78 | 05-22-2009 06:52 AM |
| turbo manifold build... | joey1320 | Forced Induction Forum | 4 | 06-30-2007 02:26 PM |