Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #1027
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Namer convinced me not to mess with my header. Anyways, I like the Weapon R design and so will be leaving it as it is. I do have some more experimental intake manifold ideas that I want to see what happens if I do them. It's like following a tiny silver thread and you never know where it leads.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #1028
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
I was also going to guess exhaust... but with you living in Los Angeles, I imagine you cannot even think about messing with the catalytic converters without fear of the man breaking down your door.

I'm about to move to a full 2.25" header-back exhaust using a OBX exhaust system as a base along with a single 2.25" magnaflow cat, 2.25" magnaflow resonator and 2.25" magnaflow muffler. I've also been thinking about buying another DC header and having the collector modified to 2.25", being that it is 2" now. I know there is more HP in there if the exhaust system can get freed up a little more. 2" seems so small for a collector on these headers, all of the 1.6L Honda's I worked on were either 2.25" or 2.5".

Either way, I need to find a shop to get this thing dyno'd so I can get a baseline. Thanks for so diligently getting your car dyno'd, it's great to see actually numbers instead of 'seat of the pants' reviews on stuff.
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #1029
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post
I was also going to guess exhaust... but with you living in Los Angeles, I imagine you cannot even think about messing with the catalytic converters without fear of the man breaking down your door.
You're right. I want to keep it smog testable. The way it is now, I can still run everything the way it is and simply stick on the stock airbox...



...and it'll smog test just fine.

Quote:
I'm about to move to a full 2.25" header-back exhaust using a OBX exhaust system as a base along with a single 2.25" magnaflow cat, 2.25" magnaflow resonator and 2.25" magnaflow muffler. I've also been thinking about buying another DC header and having the collector modified to 2.25", being that it is 2" now. I know there is more HP in there if the exhaust system can get freed up a little more. 2" seems so small for a collector on these headers, all of the 1.6L Honda's I worked on were either 2.25" or 2.5".

Either way, I need to find a shop to get this thing dyno'd so I can get a baseline. Thanks for so diligently getting your car dyno'd, it's great to see actually numbers instead of 'seat of the pants' reviews on stuff.
Yes. A baseline is valuable information. A dyno is the only way to know exactly what's going on.

The graphs are honest and all done under the same conditions. Nothing was done to either enhance or diminish the results. I did three stock baseline runs, three with the tooter alone, and three with the tooter and the 1ZZ throttle body, and posted the best run from each set.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #1030
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDidIt View Post
Wonder how it would handle a good AEM FIC tune. :)
Harry, at HK Motorsports dyno shop suggested tuning would increase the power but I won't be doing that. It already does good enough with the stock tune and regular pump gas... and I still want it to be able to pass the smog test. So I'll leave that for someone else to experiment.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #1031
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Hopefully you'll pass visual. It does look stock, but it isn't, and technically should not pass.

But hey, it's a 2012 right? You have at least five more years I think. I haven't had to smog my '07 yet!
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #1032
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ Hopefully you'll pass visual. It does look stock, but it isn't, and technically should not pass.

But hey, it's a 2012 right? You have at least five more years I think. I haven't had to smog my '07 yet!
I have a good smog guy I've gone to for years who is a fellow veteran. If there are no lights or codes and the tail pipe emissions are good. It'll pass for sure. Even with all the crazy stuff I've tried, It's still never triggered a CEL light, except one time I forgot to plug in the MAF sensor.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #1033
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
so absurd you can't pass smog with mods. where is the scca on that front?
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #1034
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
so absurd you can't pass smog with mods. where is the scca on that front?
As long as there are no codes generated by the computer, the fuel vapor recovery system works properly, and the tailpipe sniffer smells clean exhaust... it'll pass.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #1035
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L
 
Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post
I was also going to guess exhaust... but with you living in Los Angeles, I imagine you cannot even think about messing with the catalytic converters without fear of the man breaking down your door.

I'm about to move to a full 2.25" header-back exhaust using a OBX exhaust system as a base along with a single 2.25" magnaflow cat, 2.25" magnaflow resonator and 2.25" magnaflow muffler. I've also been thinking about buying another DC header and having the collector modified to 2.25", being that it is 2" now. I know there is more HP in there if the exhaust system can get freed up a little more. 2" seems so small for a collector on these headers, all of the 1.6L Honda's I worked on were either 2.25" or 2.5".

Either way, I need to find a shop to get this thing dyno'd so I can get a baseline. Thanks for so diligently getting your car dyno'd, it's great to see actually numbers instead of 'seat of the pants' reviews on stuff.
I work on A LOT of hondas. Most of the header outlets are 2". Even for a b18 teggy I worked on last tuesday. Dont let the small collector fool you. 2" is just about perfect for our motors. You want the exhaust gases to be at a high velocity when leaving the motor. The stronger the pulse...the stronger the vacuum behind that pulse. Thats what makes power. The larger the pipe the weaker the pulse strength would be and it will be traveling at a slower rate
__________________
-Greg...the Exhaust Freak.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 AM   #1036
baseballfan416
 
Drives: 2017 L 3-door
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Milwaukee, Wi
Posts: 161
I may be late to the show but...

I think there's still hp left on the table. Looks like the 108 whp is just about every bolt-on mod aside from the crank pulley, which is considered by many to be the best "bang for the buck."
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #1037
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan416 View Post
I may be late to the show but...

I think there's still hp left on the table. Looks like the 108 whp is just about every bolt-on mod aside from the crank pulley, which is considered by many to be the best "bang for the buck."
I don't believe that the pluses outweigh the minuses in that regard, as I don't think it's a good idea to remove something from an engine that provides the useful purpose of absorbing crankshaft vibrations.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #1038
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
I work on A LOT of hondas. Most of the header outlets are 2". Even for a b18 teggy I worked on last tuesday. Dont let the small collector fool you. 2" is just about perfect for our motors. You want the exhaust gases to be at a high velocity when leaving the motor. The stronger the pulse...the stronger the vacuum behind that pulse. Thats what makes power. The larger the pipe the weaker the pulse strength would be and it will be traveling at a slower rate
Good to know. What do you think of my plan of going to 2.25" piping/cats/resonator throughout on the exhaust? It's what my old D16 civics ran and it seemed like a good size.

Also tooter, do you still have the 1.75" exhaust piping after the factory resonator still in place? It might be worth paying the small amount to have that replaced with a 2" or 2.25" back to the axle-back.

Also, I recently replaced my crank pulley with a MI crank pulley and I didn't notice much if any change in engine output. I did notice however that the car is easier to drive, matching revs and such. For having nothing but manual transmission cars my entire life, I drive my Yaris somewhat jerky. I would say I drive the car a bit smoother now as I go through the gears. Eventually I plan on getting a lightened flywheel, I've had them in multiple cars in the past and it makes a huge difference in the car.
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #1039
baseballfan416
 
Drives: 2017 L 3-door
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Milwaukee, Wi
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I don't believe that the pluses outweigh the minuses in that regard, as I don't think it's a good idea to remove something from an engine that provides the useful purpose of absorbing crankshaft vibrations.
If it's a horrible idea, why did Garm spend R&D building them?
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #1040
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan416 View Post
If it's a horrible idea, why did Garm spend R&D building them?
I didn't say it's "horrible"... you said that. I only said that there are pluses and minuses for each pulley. Each Yaris owner chooses for themselves which part best meets their needs and wants.

When each cylinder chamber fires the force is transmitted through the piston down the connecting rod to the crankshaft. This force is not applied smoothly, but is a series of pushes.

So when the crankshaft rotates from the cylinder pulses, the rubber connecting ring between the center of the pulley and the outer section allows the center to alternately rotate momentarily faster and slower than inertial weight of the outer section which rotates more smoothly. This helps to absorb the crank vibrations to make the engine run smoother.

In high performance engines under racing conditions, this is not a consideration. So parts are engineered to meet high performance racing oriented priorities.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #1041
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
except that is not the case. That was the case in the 60's, and is still the case today in some larger v-8's, but it is in no way the case in a modern 4 cylinder engine.

Have you taken a look at the Yaris' pulley? There is basically no rubber on it at all. A modern 4 cylinder engine is balanced internally, that is the engine itself is harmonically balanced, and it does not need external harmonic dampeners of any type.

how many millions of problem free miles do aftermarket pulleys need for this talk to finally be buried like the falsity it is?
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #1042
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
except that is not the case. That was the case in the 60's, and is still the case today in some larger v-8's, but it is in no way the case in a modern 4 cylinder engine.

Have you taken a look at the Yaris' pulley? There is basically no rubber on it at all. A modern 4 cylinder engine is balanced internally, that is the engine itself is harmonically balanced, and it does not need external harmonic dampeners of any type.

how many millions of problem free miles do aftermarket pulleys need for this talk to finally be buried like the falsity it is?
Thanks for the info, why.

I didn't know that the stock Yaris pulley was solid metal. So then it doesn't matter what you run.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #1043
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!
 
Golddeenoh's Avatar
 
Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 830
a popular 4 cylinder factory balancing technique is to use balance shafts the are driven by the timing chain and turn in the opposite direction of the crank shaft. I'am not aware of any newer 4 cylinder engine that require external crank shaft dampening.

I'm with Why, there is no dampener pulleys on new age 4 cylinder engines.
__________________
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #1044
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
a popular 4 cylinder factory balancing technique is to use balance shafts the are driven by the timing chain and turn in the opposite direction of the crank shaft. I'am not aware of any newer 4 cylinder engine that require external crank shaft dampening.

I'm with Why, there is no dampener pulleys on new age 4 cylinder engines.
Tell you the truth, I've never looked closely at mine to see whether or not it had any rubber in it. I believe that my 4 stroke single cylinder motorcycle has a counter rotating balancing shaft because it runs pretty smooth for a one lunger that only fires once every other rotation.

Now you guys got me all curious, so I took an inspection mirror and actually looked at my pulley. It's got a rubber dampening strip in it. Maybe the 2012's are third gen that they have them now. I also found a pic of one like mine. It looks exactly like this...

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
homemade intake manifold ttr125fan09 Performance Modifications 1 02-17-2012 01:09 AM
Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous blacksandiegovitz Performance Modifications 9 04-21-2010 07:05 PM
Turbo Manifold thread Sabretooth Forced Induction Forum 78 05-22-2009 06:52 AM
turbo manifold build... joey1320 Forced Induction Forum 4 06-30-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.