Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2009, 04:04 AM   #1
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
Even NF210s need better shocks

So I installed a set of Tanabe NF210s today and took the Yaris for a pretty extensive test ride. Even though the drop is mild, they bounce all around the place if the road gets a bit rough leading to a poorly controlled ride. I suspect the stock shocks cannot handle the progressive nature of the springs when they ramp up. Here in Hawaii there are stretches of some pretty crappy roads.

As an experiment, I switched out only the rears with the stock springs. Actually the discrepancy in height is not very visually apparent. The ride was MUCH more controlled and comfortable.

I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a quality suspension ride to install their NF series springs with at least KYB shocks if not Tokico.

In the future, I may try a set of Megan coilovers with minimal drop set. Too bad I cannot find any coilover sleeves which would allow for some adjustment to fine tune the ride. Some adjustable shocks would be pretty cool too.
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Yaristwn

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
So I installed a set of Tanabe NF210s today and took the Yaris for a pretty extensive test ride. Even though the drop is mild, they bounce all around the place if the road gets a bit rough leading to a poorly controlled ride. I suspect the stock shocks cannot handle the progressive nature of the springs when they ramp up. Here in Hawaii there are stretches of some pretty crappy roads.

As an experiment, I switched out only the rears with the stock springs. Actually the discrepancy in height is not very visually apparent. The ride was MUCH more controlled and comfortable.

I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a quality suspension ride to install their NF series springs with at least KYB shocks if not Tokico.

In the future, I may try a set of Megan coilovers with minimal drop set. Too bad I cannot find any coilover sleeves which would allow for some adjustment to fine tune the ride. Some adjustable shocks would be pretty cool too.
I had same problem when I only lowered mine with TOM's springs. But the ride gets better after the TOM's shock absorbers installed.
Yaristwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
So, what your saying is, don't go with stock shocks once you drop the car?

Im pretty much thinking two things since I have TRD springs:

Get the TRD struts/shocks for $419
Or get the KYB GR-2 for half that price.

If this doesn't get an answer I'll start a new thread once I get home from class.
Thanks.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
I think the KYB's are close to stock, I personally have Tokico's and they are less expensive then the TRD's and of whats been said similar to the trds.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I have the TRD shocks with TRD springs and anti-sway bar.
No bouncing here. Just railing the corners.

Nothing looks funnier that a slammed ricer pogoing down the highway. You just know the mod. budget didn't include upgraded damping. Barf bags required.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
As an owner of Megan coilovers, I can assure you the ride is VERY stiff. If you don't like the rideof the Tanabes, you'll HATE the Megans; even on full soft they are very stiff. If you're looking for coilovers specifically, try the Tein Basics. Although the dampening isn't adjustable, they ride smoother than the Megans. Then again, perhaps the TRD springs/shocks combo would better suit your tastes?
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
I think the NF series springs are very soft. IT is the lack of rebound dampening that was bothering me.

As for the other reply, I think the Tokicos are definately the way to go. Although the KYBs are cheaper, you will probably not be satisfied with their performance.
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote