Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
JustDidIt
 
JustDidIt's Avatar
 
Drives: '08G2T Prius
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 163
awesome update!
JustDidIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
dragoonmc
 
Drives: 07 hatchback
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 118
that looks awesome!
dragoonmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
tk-421
Super Moderator
 
tk-421's Avatar
 
Drives: 5D-07-LB
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dagobah
Posts: 4,262
55mm sounds about right. I made this exact mod a couple of years ago and I've had zero problems. I do have a high idle, but there's nothing I can do about that, since the idle screw has some epoxy on top of it. Ah well.

That erratic behavior should go away after a couple of trips (at least it did in my case).
__________________
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
Mabey something got messed up on disassembly/re-assembly?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
suckerface
#1 Lemming
 
suckerface's Avatar
 
Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Mabey something got messed up on disassembly/re-assembly?
This. Astroman and myself aren't the only ones to have plug and play success. I'm guessing something went awry when you started the chip swap drilling and pulled the epoxy off the idle screw.

It took a good 10-15 min for my yaris to calm down at first, then a few minutes the next couple starts. Within a few days, it'd idle high for about 90 seconds when I first started the car. Drove it like that for about a year until the wreck. Didn't touch a thing on the TB except with some degreaser to clean it up.

Also ran it with an SRI. Regular tubing size, just used a section of silicone tubing as a makeshift adapter. I'll try to find you my pics if you want to compare.
__________________
suckerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Mabey something got messed up on disassembly/re-assembly?
Nope. I was super careful having read what everyone else did. Even picked out the epoxy real careful. The idle screw underneath is absolutely pristine...




I'm going to give it a couple of cycles, just to see if anything gets better. I'm for sure going to swap out the chips to get rid of that really irritating delayed throttle notch between light throttle and decel. The chip behaves as if it was made to control the throttle for an automatic transmission as likely the majority of them were.

Funny, if the 030 was supposed to be the good one. Makes me wonder what an 031 was like?
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
suckerface
#1 Lemming
 
suckerface's Avatar
 
Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 760
Might be a stupid question, but you confirmed on the part itself that's it's the proper part number?
__________________
suckerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Yes. The number is clearly printed on the chip. The throttle body itself is in excellent condition, and nothing on it had been buggered around with. I'm going to cycle it some more before I swap the chip, just to see if things get any better and I'm definitely going to turn the idle down!
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
No one listens to me. I sold at least five pre-swapped TB's and none of my customers had issues. Swap the chip.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
No one listens to me. I sold at least five pre-swapped TB's and none of my customers had issues. Swap the chip.
Got it, Garm.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
No one listens to me. I sold at least five pre-swapped TB's and none of my customers had issues. Swap the chip.
Hey Garm,

Swapped out the chips and the throttle body does work a little bit better. It only goes to 2,000 now while suddenly deciding to hunt around for an idle speed. And it still has that 2 second delayed jerky drop on decel that makes the drivetrain shudder. I did turn the idle down 1/4 turn. It needs more, but at least I can do something about that issue.

Driving at speed is strange, you just rest your big toe on the accelerator and it holds 40 mph Even partial throttle and the engine is eagerly accelerating. Clearly this thing is capable of feeding lots of air into the engine without hardly any angle on the butterfly. This makes the throttle extremely sensitive. Now that's not a complaint as it's not so much so as to be unsafe. It will just take some driving to get used to it.

All in all, at least some improvement. Do you have any other ideas? Particularly about the two second delay of the jerk on decel. If I just barely have the throttle pressed, the jerking cycles back and forth constantly. It feels like it has lost the ability to smoothly transition from throttle to decel, and the delay tells me that it is computer related because it is so perfectly evenly timed.

Even running both chips the throttle body has never thrown a CEL light... so at least that's good.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
bladesmith6
 
Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 401
I swapped the chip on the tb I had and still had issues. The high idle finally came down a bit but when you let off the pedal to decel the car got kind of herky-jerky(bucked) I finally took it off because of that. You could feel that the acceleration was better though....
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6 View Post
I swapped the chip on the tb I had and still had issues. The high idle finally came down a bit but when you let off the pedal to decel the car got kind of herky-jerky(bucked) I finally took it off because of that. You could feel that the acceleration was better though....
I hear ya on the bucking... it's flat out undriveable.

I'm swapping out the chip right now and am going to also turn down the idle, and will see what happens.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
If you remember the old fashioned fueling devices called a carburetor, they had a device called a dashpot that holds the throttle partially open while you release the pedal and acts as an emission control device. The computer treats the electronic throttle the same way. But because the throttle is larger the effect is greater.

Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
If you remember the old fashioned fueling devices called a carburetor, they had a device called a dashpot that holds the throttle partially open while you release the pedal and acts as an emission control device. The computer treats the electronic throttle the same way. But because the throttle is larger the effect is greater.

Yeah, I'm familiar with those, because I'm from that era.
...but they let the throttle down slowly and smoothly. This waits 2 seconds and then suddenly drops it shut. This is a precise computer timed event as it does it exactly the same each time.


So this brings me back around to the same question:


Has anyone here ever successfully run a Corolla throttle body with none of the issues I'm experiencing?
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #16
suckerface
#1 Lemming
 
suckerface's Avatar
 
Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Has anyone here ever successfully run a Corolla throttle body with none of the issues I'm experiencing?
As mentioned, aside from the fluctuating idle at cold start (which only lasted 1-2 minutes) I had ZERO problems with mine. Also had an SRI on it. Same part number as yours, just cleaned it up and slapped it on. No chip swap. Didn't even clean the epoxy off the idle screw.

I'll do some digging to see if I ever did a video of it.
__________________
suckerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
As mentioned, aside from the fluctuating idle at cold start (which only lasted 1-2 minutes) I had ZERO problems with mine. Also had an SRI on it. Same part number as yours, just cleaned it up and slapped it on. No chip swap. Didn't even clean the epoxy off the idle screw.

I'll do some digging to see if I ever did a video of it.
I'm glad to hear that,sucker...
At least it worked right for one person here. I'm also glad it worked with your SRI so I can rule out that variable on mine. I can say that when you step on the gas... man, it roars!



The noise could be deceptively making the car feel like it's faster, but the dyno will provide an objective answer that.

Even if all of the issues aren't sorted out, when I get the ECU to a stable point, I'm taking it down to Harry's dyno shop!



Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
bladesmith6
 
Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 401
You know i was thinking about this , this might be the case where one of those aftermarket throttle controllers is just the thing. You have to calibrate them when you plug it in between the accel pedal and the obd II port anyway, it might correct the bucking issue...
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
homemade intake manifold ttr125fan09 Performance Modifications 1 02-17-2012 01:09 AM
Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous blacksandiegovitz Performance Modifications 9 04-21-2010 07:05 PM
Turbo Manifold thread Sabretooth Forced Induction Forum 78 05-22-2009 06:52 AM
turbo manifold build... joey1320 Forced Induction Forum 4 06-30-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.