Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #937
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Speaking of dyno runs, here's a video of the tooter...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/DdQZcHXtnTI
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #938
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
Awe the video ends just before the climax!
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #939
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Awe the video ends just before the climax!
The engine hit the rev limiter really hard so the video ends right at the first stutter.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #940
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I don't think I'll be dynoing it with a 1ZZ as I'm more of an economy driver than a performance one. The manifold is not only designed for the 1ZZ throttle body, it was also designed for a 1.8 engine so I don't think it would make that much difference in an normally aspirated application. However, a forced induction situation would be a completely different story. Even at the tooter's best +4hp at 5,600rpm that isn't nearly enough to be detected in actual driving. And remember that's at wide open throttle. Most driving is at partial throttle, where the difference between the tooter and stock manifold is too slight to feel. We've been running it on our daily driver Yaris for over 2,000 miles now and it works just fine. And the stock air box really quiets down the intake.
You're killing me here, man. You've come so far that not sourcing a 1ZZ TB and dynoing it seems weird to me, like you're aborting the project early. You even had the TB adapter made to match the 1ZZ throttle body, yet you aren't going to at least try and get one?
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #941
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post
You're killing me here, man. You've come so far that not sourcing a 1ZZ TB and dynoing it seems weird to me, like you're aborting the project early. You even had the TB adapter made to match the 1ZZ throttle body, yet you aren't going to at least try and get one?
Ok, I'll get one and dyno it even though that wasn't the goal.

Making the tooter fit both throttle bodies without any extra parts was an afterthought so that I wouldn't have to stock 2 adaptors. In fact it actually fits three, the stock 51mm three bolt cable controlled throttle body.

I still think that the results will be similar as these back to back runs (stock:red tooter:blue) done on the same day...



the stock engine is only capable of taking in so much air/fuel.

Last edited by tooter; 12-31-2012 at 01:47 PM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #942
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
not sourcing a 1ZZ TB and dynoing it seems weird to me, like you're aborting the project early.
The tooter looks great but doesn't make power. Testing it with another TB is up to tooter; I respect his call either way -- he has to pay for the dyno.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #943
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
Holly Sh..t, haven't checked this thread for a while..

Am I dreaming or this (part in the middle) is what I need to install my Xb/Echo Blitz Sc on my Yaris?
It ~might~ be, Tolmach...



Here's how you can find out for sure...
The three manifold bolts form a triangle with sides of 57mm, 71mm, and 75mm... and the four throttle body stud holes are 60mm square.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #944
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
^ Thanks

I am getting 71, 75 and 67 mm (instead of 57 that you indicated) with 46 mm internal hole diameter. I suspect you have 67 mm in your picture as well (Judging by the gasket in your pic). My TB bolts measure 60 mm, 60 mm, 60 mm, 60 mm.

Can you pls double check this 57 vs 67 mm issue as well as the internal diameter of the hole?
Sorry, that was my typo. You're right, it's 67 and not 57...



The center hole is 5mm larger than yours is. It's 51mm which was designed to exactly match the Corolla 1.8 manifold. That would mean a 2.5mm forward facing lip on the inner diameter of your manifold which should be flared out with a hand file or Dremel to create a smooth transition. With the adaptor bolted on, a sharp scribe could be run around the inside circumfrence to exactly mark the lip so that you'd know exactly what to remove. Aluminium is really soft and works easily.

You'd also want to be sure that the throttle body butterfly tips in at the right attitude so as to clear the screen on the O ring gasket. Although with forced induction, I'm not really sure that screen would matter and could simply be clipped off if it was a problem.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #945
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Ok, I'll get one and dyno it even though that wasn't the goal.

Making the tooter fit both throttle bodies without any extra parts was an afterthought so that I wouldn't have to stock 2 adaptors. In fact it actually fits three, the stock 51mm three bolt cable controlled throttle body.

I still think that the results will be similar as these back to back runs (stock:red tooter:blue) done on the same day...
Back when I worked on Hondas, when we would swap intake manifolds, whenever possible we would include whatever the largest stock throttle body that would fit the manifold. I think we have a similar case here, while not a huge bottle-neck, it's a bottle neck to the system, and you did make the adapter to fit the larger throttle body.

I'm sorry if I came off harsh at all in my last post, I've enjoyed this thread and your tinkering that has led you to where you are. It's a good looking manifold, and it was designed for a larger throttle body than that which you are using, and it's an easy swap to the larger 1ZZ. You have to at least try :) I think there are many others who are following the thread that are also very interested. I think with the change will come more tinkering, and more content too. I appreciate the informative posts.
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #946
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post
Back when I worked on Hondas, when we would swap intake manifolds, whenever possible we would include whatever the largest stock throttle body that would fit the manifold. I think we have a similar case here, while not a huge bottle-neck, it's a bottle neck to the system, and you did make the adapter to fit the larger throttle body.

I'm sorry if I came off harsh at all in my last post, I've enjoyed this thread and your tinkering that has led you to where you are. It's a good looking manifold, and it was designed for a larger throttle body than that which you are using, and it's an easy swap to the larger 1ZZ. You have to at least try :) I think there are many others who are following the thread that are also very interested. I think with the change will come more tinkering, and more content too. I appreciate the informative posts.
Hey Never,

No offense taken. I just got this 1ZZ 0D030 throttle body off ebay today...




...and will be running it soon. I read through the whole 1ZZ thread, and it looks like a real pain in the ass to get working half way decently with all the floating idles, wildly racing rpms, stripped screws, and repeated check engine lights. Hopefully, I can avoid some of the pitfalls knowing the experiences others have gone through.

I at least have some advantages over trying to make it work with the plastic stock manifold. The Corolla manifold was originally engineered for a 1.8 throttle body, and the tooter adaptor I designed will fit it perfectly.

I'll let you know exactly how all this shakes out.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #947
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
it looks like a real pain in the ass to get working half way decently with all the floating idles, wildly racing rpms, stripped screws, and repeated check engine lights.
It's not that hard, if you have the parts you need on hand to swap the servos. The two I've seen done in person worked perfectly.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #948
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Hey Garm,

What's a servo, and how do you swap it? Is that what was being referred to as a "chip"?

There were so many different proceedures with wildly varying and inconsistent results it was truly mind bending just trying to make it through that long thread.

...and, by the way, is there anyone here who is actually running a normally aspirated 1ZZ throttle body that works properly? I'd love to hear from you how you did it.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #949
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ yeah, it's that black plastic end piece that is attached with rivets. You drill them out, and swap them so your 1NZ one is on the 1ZZ throttle body. You'll need some small screws or bolts with nuts to install.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #950
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Thanks, Garm.
I thought that might be what it was, but wasn't totally sure. I've just been reading up more about the same 1ZZ to 1NZ throttle body swap on a Scion forum so as to be totally familiar with all the issues before I actually start on the project.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #951
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
1ZZ throttle body came in today...



...so it's off to the workshop to strip it and bead blast it to make it look like new.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #952
suckerface
#1 Lemming
 
suckerface's Avatar
 
Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 760
What part number on the TB?

Nevermind, just saw your post that it's a 030. That's good. Should be plug and play. The only issue I had with mine was some high idling at cold start, but calmed down quickly and didn't throw any CELs. If you got the 031, then you'd need to do a chip swap and adjust the idle screw.

Just remember to reset your ECU!
__________________
suckerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #953
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
What part number on the TB?

Nevermind, just saw your post that it's a 030. That's good. Should be plug and play. The only issue I had with mine was some high idling at cold start, but calmed down quickly and didn't throw any CELs. If you got the 031, then you'd need to do a chip swap and adjust the idle screw.

Just remember to reset your ECU!
Wow, thanks for the heads up!

I had already drilled out the rivets for the chip swap, although it turned out fine as I was able to clean out the area where the gears are. I'm searching out some little nuts and bolts to put the chip back on, and other than that, it's all ready to go...



I really like how the micro stainless steel beads don't abraid away the metal surfaces or alter their dimensions, but act like tiny ball peen hammers that pound the surfaces to clean and smooth them out.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #954
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Not wanting to leave anything to chance, I also chipped out the epoxy from the idle adjustment screw just in case I needed to tweak it...



The chip is bolted back on now, so next is step is installation...

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
homemade intake manifold ttr125fan09 Performance Modifications 1 02-17-2012 01:09 AM
Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous blacksandiegovitz Performance Modifications 9 04-21-2010 07:05 PM
Turbo Manifold thread Sabretooth Forced Induction Forum 78 05-22-2009 06:52 AM
turbo manifold build... joey1320 Forced Induction Forum 4 06-30-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.